We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Thomas for one day 10/31

wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. Thomas for one day 10/31

will arrive in St. Thomas on cruise ship on 10/31 for the day. I've contacted at least 5 of the recommended (by this site)sail/snorkle charters. Seems every one is out of the water until Nov 1 for maintenance, except 1 that is already booked. I'm not big on shopping, and traveling companions not big on long hikes. Suggestions for activities? I know the crusis ship will have options, but I was hoping no to book through cruise line.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

I would believe there are others. You do have several beaches, a day trip to St John or Water Island, Coral World, Paradise Point, Mountain Top, and many island land tours.

RL

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

How many are in your group and what ages? Who have you already contacted?

There's also Blackbeard's Castle historical tour. You can swim in their pools after the tour. Very nice restored properties and pirate statues.

The Kon Tiki boat will probably be in the water. They go to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

my preference would be snorkeling at St. john, but one of my co-cruisers would probably prefer to sit on the boat or beach. I think the zip-line looks fun, but she is not a thrill-seeker. Shopping for me is a snooze. can we get to see turtles and unusual fish(anything other than perch or walleye is unusual to us wisconsinites!) at any beach in st john, or is that just advertising? Mountaintop may be a traffic issue getting there from what I read - is that a true concern?

Is Oct 31 considered high season?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

Your best chance of seeing turtles is on an excursion that goes to Turtle Cove on St Thomas. I've seen them everytime I've been there.

Sapphire Beach also has "turtle grass" in some spots, so there's a chance you might see some there.

The only way to GUARANTEE seeing turtles is at Coral World in their turtle pool. They have a Turtle Talk where you watch the turtles being fed, and listen to a friendly presentation about them. They also have a Turtle Encounter excursion where you're in the pool with the turtles and get to touch them. The Turtle Talks are free with Coral World admission, but the Encounters are extra. Your friend can lounge at Coki Beach while you get close to wildlife at Coral World.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

October 31 is definitely not high season. Just the opposite it is still off season.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

as I will be also only a day there with a cruise, please recommend the most easy to access beaches or nice ones that could be accessed by a taxi.

is the taxi service safe and is it expensive on the island?

I will be there in december.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

The only beach you can get to by walking is Lindbergh and that's if your ship is docked at the Crown Bay port facility. Otherwise the best beaches on St Thomas are on the East end of the island - Coki, Sapphire and Secret Harbor are the best for snorkeling - and Smith Bay Park. Taxis charge per person and will cost you around $11-$15 per person each way. Here's a link to the taxi rates:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

Taxis will be lined up dockside to take you anywhere you want to go and, yes, they're absolutely safe and are nice air conditioned vans.

Magens Bay is also a gorgeous beach but there's very little in the way of snorkeling there. Have fun!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

thank you!

9. Re: St. Thomas for one day 10/31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. Thomas