We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opening a bank account

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Opening a bank account

HI I will be in St. Thomas for 1 day only on a cruise. I wanted to know about possibly opening a bank account on the island. Because I want to use the service called 'moneybookers' and they dont seem to allow a transfer from USA, whilst US Virgin Islands is listed as one of the options that you can.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Opening a bank account

I believe that the VI recognizes the stateside drivers license for ninety days, so your daughter should obtain a VI license BEFORE she has been on island for that time--not AFTER ninety days.

In the VI, anytime that you are dealing with the government, a bank, or even a utility company, expect more of a hassle then in New Hampshire.

Steve

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Opening a bank account

Just curious and note I am from Canada; but with today's on-line banking, internet transactions, bank machines why is it necessary to open a local bank account? Can she simply not write a cheque on her home account to pay the rent? go to a bank machine to withdraw funds from her home account? pay bills on-line? Just wondering....

Nashua NH
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Opening a bank account

Hi STTResident;

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding Scotia Bank; The comment regarding "mortages only", may just apply to the branch near the UVI campus. That's what she was told by the staff there.

That being said, since I posted my question, her banking situation has sorted itself out.

Thanks for your help.

Buttsy

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Opening a bank account

The bank in Nisky was a real branch until they converted it to their mortgage department. The main branch in Altona is about a 1/2 mile away. As far as her writing a stateside check most folks don't want them as they take too long to clear. I once has rent paid to me twice with stateside checks. The December check bounced in January and the November check in February! Since then, no stateside checks!

RL

A person can open an account but no checking when they are new to the island. I guess you can pull money with your ATM card from savings. Not sure that still exists. The banks now have debit cards with Visa and MC logos so It could happen.

15. Re: Opening a bank account

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 18, 2013