We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

Which is better. Any recommendations for a Day Sail to Jost from STT? We just really care about White Bay.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

I would just go on a daysail. You will get a chance to snorkel the waters around there as well as relax and not having to worry about time schedules. My favorite daysail to the Jost Van Dyke was on the Daydreamer. We had one snorkel stop before heading to Jost and at Jost we had lunch at Foxy's and then we headed over to the Soggy Dollar Bar on White Bay. I hope this helps!

Here is a link: http://www.daydreamervi.com/

Helen

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

If you search the forum there are several threads that may be helpful too.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

This is Eddie from VIDaytripper.com, a captained powerboat charter company, I live on St. Thomas and would recommend taking a daysail or private boat to Jost van Dyke. The ferry schedule is not set up well for a day on White Bay. If you are only interested in going to White Bay then I would consider chartering a private boat, they work on your schedule so you can spend as much time as you like enjoying the Soggy Dollar. If you don't mind doing a few other stops and having other people on your boat Bad Kitty and Breakaway are great options as well. Whatever you choose it's hard to go wrong when you wind up at Jost.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

We've done day sails/boats and we've done the ferry.

If all you care about is being on white bay, then take the ferry.

You get on the ferry at Red Hook, go over to STJ to pick up any passengers and then you head to Tortola for customs. It's a short ride over to Jost. When you get to Jost there are taxi's there waiting for you.

You can either walk around to Foxy's, which I like. Or...take the taxie over the hill to Soggy Dollar, which I prefer. It's so nice to just grab a painkiller, get a chair and people watch.

Again, if all you care about is getting to white bay, take the ferry.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

If all you want is to be at White Bay, the best way in cost and time on the beach is with Dolphin Water Taxi at $55pp each way. The depart out of Red Hook and Cruz Bay every morning at 830am and go directly to the Soggy Dollar Bar

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

The ferry is $70 round trip so there is a bit of a price difference between it and Dolphin at $55 each way.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

There are also fuel fees for the express, I was quoted a higher price/pp in May but perhaps that $110 fare is a low season rate?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

OP was 18 months ago....

Mike in Tulsa

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

Yes, but the person who revived it and said that Dolphin was less expensive did need to to have that corrected for the sake of others coming to the thread for info.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: STT to Jost Van Dyke - Ferry or Day Sail

Ok that makes sense...Your input is always valued.

Mike in Tulsa