We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charter fishing trips

Minneapolis...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Charter fishing trips

Has anyone fished with Reel Therapy or mixed bag charter fishing companies? There are 5 of us who want to go offshore fishing in January. Just looking for a recommend company, thanks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charter fishing trips

Double Header out of Sapphire Marina always receives excellent reviews and I've never hesitated to recommend them.

www.doubleheadersportfishing.net/

Enjoy!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charter fishing trips

Double down ditto on Double Header. They have a good reputation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
821 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charter fishing trips

We have had two great experiences with Black Pearl Sportfishing out of American Yacht Harbor. Captain Jim and First Mate Jamie were a pleasure to work with. Her is a link to their website.

http://www.blackpearlsportfishing.com/

Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charter fishing trips

We had an exceptional afternoon with Double Header Sportfishing. We had 12 people on two boats. Seas were rough by our standards, but they did a great, great job with us. Tyler Maltby was unbelievable. His passion and intensity are unsurpassed. When we got into a school of fish, you would have thought he hadn't seen a fish in six months....jumping to action and quickly getting our whole crew engaged. Highly recommend them for your next trip.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charter fishing trips

Another vote for double header & captain Tyler! 6 times out with them & boatload of fish each time.

Austin, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Charter fishing trips

We had a mixed experience with Double Header and would suggest you read this. We fished New Years week 2013 and had two boat. The guides were Aaron and Matt on one boat and Brian on the other. We had 4 adults and six kids on the two boats.

THE GOOD

1. We caught fish and that's the reason we went.

2. The boats were clean and well appointed.

THE BAD

1. Aaron almost seemed put out ot have kids on the boats. He never engaged and did little to make us feel welcome or pleased that we were using them. Matt was much better and more friendly.

2. I wonder if they get some extra $ to get stuff mounted. We caught a shark and a tarpon (the tarpon got to the leader) and they pushed REALLY hard for us to get them measured and mounted.

3. Brian on the other boat had to be asked to filet our fish and only did 2 of the 5 tuna and kingfish we kept. The guides did mention that thye sell fish to restaurants and it seemed they were more interested in keeping our fish then preparing them and letting us enjoy them. Is bonita not a good fish? They had no interest in preparing it for us to keep.

4. Why do we only get to keep 20 pounds of fish? Other charters do not do that.

Happy we caught fish but would go elsewhere next time.

Steve M

Austin Texas

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charter fishing trips

A million years ago when I used to work on a local fishing boat any fish brought to the dock sold at $2/pound and was considered part of the economics of running the boat (read = part of the tip). Some days you won and some days you lost the game. A big tuna strike or a substantial bill fish could make or break a season.

I don't recall a posted # limit but it was well understood before heading out that a couple nice fillets was about all any charter group could expect.

About the other stuff - some folks like kids and treat them well while others find them a bother. Just the way of the world.

I don't recall ever pushing to have anyone get something mounted. I imagine it is part of the economics.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charter fishing trips

We are planning a trip in earlier March with two kids 4 and 6 who love fishing in MN. Are there any suggested charters that cater more to children?

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Charter fishing trips

Went with Tyler on double header in july great guy and better fishing!! Live bait with kids will produce great results.

Clint

Big lake Mn

Enfield, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Charter fishing trips

Another big thumbs up for captain Tyler of Double Header Sport Fishing! Earlier this week I took my two teenage sons and my wife for a half day charter with Double Header and Tyler put us right on the fish. More than once the three of us each had a fish on at the same time (my wife wasn't fishing, but there to watch the action). Tyler did a great job keeping us hooked up. We took home more filets than we knew what to do with (tuna, snapper, rainbow runner) and were happy to leave the rest of the catch with the boat. A few years ago I took my boys on a charter out of the DR and we were sorely disappointed (very choppy, no fish), but this trip really made up for it. They both loved it! I've been on charters from Cape Cod to Homer, AK, and this one with Double Header's captain Tyler is right up there as one of the best.