We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.Thomas Boat Rental

11 posts
Save Topic
St.Thomas Boat Rental

Has anyone ever rented a small power boat in St.Thomas??

I am looking to do some exploring.

If so, what was the cost and where did you rent from?

Warwick, NY
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

I rented in the past (10 years ago) a 22 ft boat and we had a blast. Easy to navigate and the best way to see the islands. Jost and Foxys was great as well as the indians and norman island.

When I last rented it was with 2 other couples so we were able to split the cost. I am going down in April and wanted to rent again. I didn't want to spend $300 a day for a boat. I did find a place that rents 18 foot baots for $200 a day. I have reserved a couple of days with them. The name of the place is Pocket Yachts 340-690-715. I have not rented from them before but I don't see a problem. Good luck.

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

Hey Blues,

Thanks for the info,I will check it out. I too am going in April, at the end (25th -May 1) I figured it would be a couple hundred for the day, but it should be worth it

Warwick, NY
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

Our last day is the 25th of April. renting the boat is the best way to enjoy the islands. If you rent for more then one day they Pocket Yachts will give a discount. I am paying $375 for 2 days. I think you could get three days for about $500. Well worth it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

Can these boats be taken to STJ?

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

Yes, they can. Look also into Nauti Nymph. They are in the 300 dollar per day range, but the are generally a bit larger and more stable. We've taken one all the way to the Baths in VG. They discount for multiple days as well. Have website. Can be chartered out of Redhook.

6. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:59 pm, April 24, 2006
NJ
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St.Thomas Boat Rental

I recently got back from a trip to St. Thomas in which we rented a twin engine power boat for a half day. As a first time boat "renter", I was unaware that there was a lot of paperwork and instruction involved. The person that I spoke with said that a half day boat rental is from 12 noon to 4 PM. While making that reservation, I was told to be there at 12 noon! Not 11:30AM! So we get there at 12 noon with no help from their poor directions on how to get to their exact location. We had not problem getting to Red Hook but the woman had me looking for the most hard to find ice cream store when all she had to tell me was make a left at Molly Malone's a well known and well seen establishment! Anyway, as we began filling out paperwork, the girl at the outside desk says that the boat is to be back at 3:30PM!!! My reaction is: WHAT??? We'll be in the boat by 12:30 PM by the time the instruction is over and we need to be back at 3:30PM and we are paying for 4 HOURS??? What is that?!?!? While going over the map of the islands, with 3 hours of boat time in mind, the instructor recommended 3 different places to go knowing that we were stopping for snokeling. Not only that, but just asking about how much gas we'll use going to the ONE and only spot on St. John that we had in mind, our instructor estimated that we would only use $75 worth of gas & oil. Upon return we found out at the gas pump that we in fact used $155 only going to Leinster Bay, St. John (1 hour of that time the boat was off and tied to a buoy!). What a tourist trap if you have never rented a boat before and don't expect to pay that much for 2 hours worth of gas and 3 hours use of a boat! We spoke to the Nauti Nymph staff about the timing issue prior to departure and said they'd talk to us upon return..well guess what? They said they wouldn't do anything and that we should have ASSUMED that there was a lot of time consuming paperwork and instruction involved. Of course they wait 'til after our return to tell us that! Shame on Nauti Nymph to tell a first time renter to "assume!"

For those who have never rented a boat on vacation before, don't bother! It's overrated! Take a group charter! Although I had a generous budget for fun on vacation, this was one expensive excursion - $455 total(rental & gas)!