We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

Looking for advice on which snorkeling cruises I should consider. Right now, I'm leaning toward Morningstar. Thanks!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

Leaving from Water Bay it is a longer - enjoyable but upwind - sail to STJ to snorkel on the Morningstar - a fine boat though - any of the Red Hook vessels have a much shorter and pleasant sail to STJ - can go farther afield and offer more snorkeling sites as an option.

edited for spelling

Edited: 12:51 am, January 17, 2011
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

I am actually looking for an all day snorkel cruise to STJ too.

I am staying on the East End - Sapphire Beach Condos - and there are several places that go out of the marina there (so no parking in Red Hook). New Horizons is only $80 (for internet booking), and Yacht Nightwind is $125 adults/$90 for kids. New Horizons takes up to 37 people, while Yacht Nightwind only takes up to 18 guests.

Out of Red Hook, I like "Sail Winifred" and "Sail High Pockets." Both take 2 - 6 guests. Smaller boats. $130/100 and $130 respectively. Would have to pay to park in Red Hook with these. Is parking in Red Hook a problem?

We are a small family of 3 with 5 year old child. I hate cattle calls and don't want a drunken party atmosphere. On one hand, the smaller boats sound more appealing - not a herd of people - crowded snorkeling - but I also like the idea of a slightly bigger boat (more comfortable to ride on) and the lower price. $80 is a great price on the New Horizon. But is will it be worth it to just pay more. Any opinions??? Please.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

I've done New Horizons STJ sail before - it was an absolutely wonderful experience - loved, loved, loved it! There were not 37 people on the trip we went on though - there were 20-25 probably. Plenty of room, families, couples, etc. Believe it or not, everyone was really respectful of the fact that there were kids on board and everyone behaved, no one got out of control at all. I have generally found that to be the case pretty much anywhere I've been on STT and STJ.

Parking in Red Hook is easy. Drop the family off at the harbor, drive to the top of the hill behind the grocery store accross the street. There's a pay to park lot that's easy to get into and easy to get out of. The walk to the street is easy - but the walk back up will have your legs burning.

4. Re: Best snorkeling cruises/St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 am, January 21, 2012