We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

Los Angeles, Ca
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

I will be traveling to St.Thomas in February and would like to know the prime location to stay. I would like to be close to stores, restuarants, and some attractions.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

It depends. You don't mention budget. Do you mean a hotel or condo? If hotel, Marriott's Frenchman's Reef/Morning Star is closer to downtown & Havensight shopping plus restaurants in those locations as well as the great restaurants in Frenchtown. Bolongo is less expensive & more "basic" but still an easy drive to the areas I mentioned.

Wyndham Sugar Bay is closer to the east end & the ferry to St. John & the restaurants there but really, the island isn't that big & it's a good idea to rent a car to get around anyway. Top end, budgetwise is the Ritz-Carlton on the east end as well.

As far as renting condos, many are on the east end such as Elysian Beach Resort which is next door to the Ritz, Secret Harbour & Sapphire Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
1,295 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, St...
1,096 Reviews
St. Thomas
Elysian Beach Resort
Elysian Beach Resort
610 Reviews
St. Thomas
Secret Harbour
Secret Harbour
644 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,658 Reviews
St. Thomas
Los Angeles, Ca
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

Thanks. I was looking for a budget friendly place to stay. I found a condo or suite on the west end on crown mountain road. Is that a good location? I'm assuming its further away from everything. But I guess I should look into a rental car.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

My husband and I just got back from a week in St.Thomas. We stayed on the north side of Megan's Bay. You really need to rent a vehicle. Walking is pretty much out of the question, except around downtown Charlotte Amalie. The eastern end of the island (Red Hook) and downtown (south side) have the most "action", but we enjoyed spending days at a time on Megan's Bay Beach where we could get drinks and food right on the beach all day long. The entire island isn't that large, and it's all beautiful, so I'm sure your location will be fine. You do need a vehicle though.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
Los Angeles, Ca
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

Thanks GMS40. I guess I will be renting a car then..more money..but I'm sure it will be worth it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
881 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

Oh, for sure, rent a car -- that way you can stay anywhere and just get around. STT is relatively small, BUT the roads are curvy and there is rush hour traffic. So, do give yourself time if you have a restaurant reservation, say, since you won't be driving as the crow flies. Check out car packages with your airline. The more you look now and educate yourself, the better you'll do car-wise.

Mentioned in this post
Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

I would give the Red Hook area a try. Sapphire Beach, Cowpet Bay, Secret Harbor, all have condos/villas to rent. There is access to plenty restaurants and is close to the ferry terminal. I hope this helps!

Helen

Mentioned in this post
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,658 Reviews
St. Thomas
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

I agree with Helen. The East End has alot to offer including the ferry to STJ.

Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
St. Thomas
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

We have been going to St. Thomas for years and bought a place there earlier this year. In our opinion the only place to stay is on the East End near Red Hook. Best beaches, great shops and restaurants in Red Hook and convenient to the ferry to St. John and BVI's. If you want a condo, we recommend Cowpet Bay. It's quiet, secluded and beautiful, with several choices of condos. Check out www.vrbo.com to rent a condo from owners.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
East End
East End
St. Thomas
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

Hi: I hope your trip to St. Thomas was fantastic. I am looking to plan a budget trip to St. Thomas and would like to know how your trip went, where you stayed, nightlife etc.

Thank you for any input you may be able to give me.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
SE USA
Level Contributor
760 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay in St. Thomas. Close to everything.

I woul;d stay in the east end.

Check this place out, they get great reviews...

http://www.okvillavi.com/amenities.htm