We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

We are about to book our trip to STT and I have a couple of questions about the AI.

We will be here from June 21 - 28th. We are not big drinkers, but will drink a little while on our honeymoon. Does the AI justify the price? I am hoping I could get some direction here.

I know the Havana Blues is not covered in the meal plan at the Marriott.

Thanks in advance!

-Bill

p.s. This is our first trip to STT could I please get a copy of Bill's List?

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

If you're planning on renting a car I wouldn't get the AI because you'll be missing out on a lot of good dining options on the island. I assume you'll be out & about a lot if you do get a car.

If you mostly just want to loll around the resort & not rent a car, the AI might be for you. The food is good at the Reef. Taxis add up quickly here & the prices quoted will be per person for the fares.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

I think AI is good if you want to park it at the resort and not leave, but there's too much to do for that. We're not drinkers and not too concerned about restaurants so we'd opt not to do AI. The Marriott is very accessible to lots of sights/places, especially if you get a rental car.

But, hmmm, you ARE on your honeymoon, so you might want to just stay in the room and order room service...

: )

Have fun! Take sunscreen!

Boston
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

Also going here for honeymoon in August with the same dilemma...anyone know what to expect in terms of price for food/drink on the island? From what I have heard it tends to add up quickly.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

ehunter, there are some menus at this site. You can find all prices/types of places also that aren't listed but this will give a general idea:

virginislandsthisweek.com/st_thomas_restaura…

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

This is what we usually spend for our meals. They are for 2 people and do not include many drinks. We are not big drinkers either, so it is mainly a pop or two with our meal.

Lunch~ between $20.00-$30.00

Dinner~ between $40.00-$60.00

Pops are about $2.50 and do not include free refills like they do here in the States. Mixed frozen drinks run about $7-9, and beer is about $3.00.

I will agree that renting a car is a great idea. Taxi's are very expensive, and they charge per person, per bag, not per cab. Also, there are a great many restarants that you can try if you opt out of AI. Hubby and I are big AI people if we go places like Mexico, Punta Cana, ect. However, we never do AI while in the USVI/BVI. There is way to many yummy places to eat:)

Congrats on the up-coming wedding. You picked the perfect spot for a honeymoon!

Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

We never do AI on STT. And Havana Blue isn't covered because it's the best place to eat at the Marriott...

The hotel is convenient as they have a ferry that goes regularly to town, so lots of choices for dining even without a car.

Taxis are expensive, but, if you don't plan to run around a lot, you might be able to schedule activities together and go that route.

Mentioned in this post
Havana Blue
Havana Blue
2,493 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

The ferry from the Reef to Charlotte Amalie doesn't run at night so it won't be helpful for dinner. There are other good restaurants at the Reef besides Havana Blue.

Mentioned in this post
Havana Blue
Havana Blue
2,493 Reviews
St. Thomas
8. Re: Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 14, 2009