We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink the water?

Pa
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drink the water?

Do I have to worry about drinking the local water? I remember in Mexico we had to watch everything we ate and drank. We planned on the bottled water but didnt know if I should be worried about frozen drinks at bars and stuff. Thannks

Michele

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink the water?

You do not have to watch the water. However, my family usually buys a case of bottled water while we are down there b/c we freeze it and bring it down to the beach so when we are thirsty, we can have a cold drink. My family usually uses the tap water for brushing teeth, taking medication, and we will drink the water at restaurants. I hope this helps!

Helen

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink the water?

Here's the link to a recent thread about potable water which was posted on the St Croix forum but is relevant to all islands and which should answer your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147401-i716-k2437…

Cheers!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink the water?

We would advise to not drink the water as most of it comes from a cistern. While most hotels have desalinization plants it still sits in a tank. Most villas have a cistern that is a collection of rain water from roof.

We are on a sailing yacht and have tanks for showering and washing dishes only, heated of course. However, for drinking water we only use bottled water.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink the water?

As noted on the previous thread, restaurants, hotels, schools and anyone else who supplies water to the public is required by law to have their water supply tested monthly by a recognized independent water testing laboratory. Enjoy your visit and don't worry about it. Cheers!

CT
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink the water?

The tap water did not make us sick. We bought bottled water for our daily travels because we didn't like the taste and faint odor of the tap water. I used tap water in cooking, however, without any problems. Enjoy your trip.

Pa
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Drink the water?

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drink the water?

We've been going to St. Thomas for 30 years and have ALWAYS used the local water for drinking, brushing teeth, etc. Never questioned it, never had a problem.

This is NOT Mexico. In Mexico, I drink bottled water, brush my teeth with bottled water, etc.

However, several times a year the islands do get the Sahara dust (yes, it comes all the way from the African desert) and sometimes the downspouts can even get clogged with sand. Since water is collected in cisterns this can be a problem. But it is not something a visitor needs to be concerned about.

Go and enjoy! The USVI is not a third world country...

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
526 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drink the water?

We visited STT in November and decided that we would only drink Bottled water- and we had a terrific vacation beause of it. Whether is was coincidence or not, our prior 2 vacations ( St. Lucia and Aruba)- either my husband or I got sick.

We, too, bought a case of bottled water and froze it- worked as ice in our beer cooler, and then we could drink the water once it thawed! I also ordered bottled water in all the restaurants we visited.

I did have ice in my drinks and brush my teeth with the tap water with no problem.

Hey- why take a chance, right?

Pa
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Drink the water?

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

One week to go!!

Aurora Missouri
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drink the water?

I drank the water in St. Thomas and came home with parasites. I missed a whole weekend of work because of it.