We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Used Book Store?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Used Book Store?

I had a question from one of the people that received my list and I don't know the answer.

They want to know if there are any used book stores on the island.

I don't remember seeing any, and as a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing any libraries.

I recall a book store at Havensight, but I don't think they had any used books.

Can anyone help me out on this one?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Used Book Store?

No used bookstores, but many places have free book exchanges (mostly popular fiction) where you can take what you want with the expectation that you'll leave one in its place. There's a big one at Frenchtown Deli. There's one in the Wyndham Sugar Bay resort. Picasso Coffee Bar. Water Island ferry dock. Probably more that I can't remember.

There's a public library in town, Enid Baa Library, on the lower end of Main Street before you get to Market Square. They also have free books.

The Friends of the Public Library used to collect used books and distribute them to schools, hospitals, etc, but they've stopped, as far as I know.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Used Book Store?

Don't know about used books, but there's Dockside Bookshop at Havensight, as mentioned.

Also the book exchanges are a good way to pick up beach reads.

And the Enid Baa Public Library on Main Street is a nice old building, built of ballast brick instead of wood, high ceilings and good breezes, so a nice cool spot to duck in and read the paper on a hot day.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Used Book Store?

Just Cuts Salon in Buccaneer Mall across from Havensight has a paperback book section to swap. Also, the flea market at the Humane Society usually has a big selection very cheaply priced.

US
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Used Book Store?

It makes me sad that the place I stay used to have a bookshelf and literate visitors would take a book/leave a book.

I left a whole shelf's worth of good stuff over the years.

Then, last trip, to my horror, all the books were gone.

When does the Humane Society have its flea market?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Used Book Store?

http://www.hsstt.com/fleamarket.htm

I've gotten some really great books there & you can't beat the prices.

US
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Used Book Store?

Hey, Sand witch,

So, there's a shop that's always open? That's great. We'll definitely stop in.

Thanks!

Cat

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Used Book Store?

pinkcat: Until the HS moves into its new facility, the Thrift Shop there is only open on a limited basis. As I remember it's for a couple of hours on Wednesdays and Sundays and if that's not on their website you can call 775-0599 when you reach and ask them. Once they move into the new place they're planning on being open much more. Cheers!

US
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Used Book Store?

thanks resident,

It wasn't clear from the website if they had or had not moved. The dates were all early 2008. I'll mark the number in my notebook (the paper kind).

Cat

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Used Book Store?

"Hours of Operation. The Flea Market is always open on Sunday from 2-4pm, or you can call the Shelter at 775-0599 to see what times during the week are available for a visit. We invite you to come out and support the animals, and see for yourself just how far a few dollars can go!"

10. Re: Used Book Store?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 13, 2009