We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does st. thomas hotels/beaches compare to st.john westin

new jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how does st. thomas hotels/beaches compare to st.john westin

anyone have input on how the marriott frenchmans reef compares to the westin st. john? wanted to buy a timeshare at westin but they are a fortune. marriott is building new ones near their frenchmans reef and I wanted to know if anyone has stayed at both and what their opinions are for comparing the 2?? only downside of the westin is the timeshare units are wayyyyyyyyyyy up on a hill with crappy views, but the hotel itself is beautiful as are the fantastic beaches like trunk bay!

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how does st. thomas hotels/beaches compare to st.john westin

That's a tough question to answer. Marriott has a nicer beach than Westin. Westin, imho, has a far better island than Marriott.;-) If I were you, I'd plan to spend a couple of days at each. Seems if you were the type to stay put and soak up the sun at the Marriott, it would be a good choice. If you're one who likes to explore and get out a lot, I'd think you'd be happier on STJ. Different strokes for different folks. Are you planning to go anytime soon? I'd like to hear what you decide.

new jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how does st. thomas hotels/beaches compare to st.john westin

I was at the Westin in St. John in April and loved the resort itself and the property, but you are right, the beach was the worst one on the whole island! we took taxis to Trunk and Cinnamon Bay and they were like beautiful post cards. The downside to westin in the timeshare units are FAR up on the mountain. I would prefer to walk out of the condo and be close to everything. I did not spend any time on St. thomas except to wander into Coral World. The marriott is building a new timeshare next to the Frenchmans Reef, and I have no idea what the property is like, is the beach near the frenchman beautiful? or man made and average like the westin beach? hummm have to go visit I guess and see! Heard the Caymens are beautiful too!

CO
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how does st. thomas hotels/beaches compare to st.john westin

Ask this question at Timeshare Users Group on their bulletin board. www.tug2.net You do know there are resales of timeshares and they are less $ ? No resales with the new Marriot but maybe you could find one at the Westin.