We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

Palmdale
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

How is the shopping there?is it really a savings at the duty free shops?and which island has better shopping or any island would be great?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

I have not been to St. John, but St. Thomas is well-known for its duty-free stores. If you're looking for fine jewelry, watches, liquor, Lladro, chrystal, perfumes, cosmetics - expect to get about 20% off of the suggested retail prices, plus no sales tax. In my experience, you should go "prepared" - knowing what you're looking for and knowing what it costs back home. That can be difficult with jewelry. There are also the traditional "souvenir" shops with T-shirts, trinkets, etc. that will have same prices as other islands. Check out www.littleswitzerland.com (a division of Tiffany's), www.dutyfree.com, or http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stthomas/shops.htm for more details on the shops there.

I think there are some bargains to be had, you just have to know what you're looking for. Don't expect to see any designer clothing shops - there aren't any to my knowledge. There may be a Coach purse store.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

St. Thomas touts its duty free shops. St. John does not. I DOES have 2 charming shopping areas. The first is to the right as you exit the ferry. It's named Wharfside Village, I think. Several cute shops including but not limited to jewelry, souvenirs, etc. The other shopping area is called Mongoose Junction. It is FULL of charm and has a lot of variety from art galleries to clothing, to souvenirs.

St. Thomas may have duty free, but it also has cruise ship crowds and shop after shop of the same t-shirts. If you're staying on St. John, I'd recommend you just leave for the airport a little early or take a ferry to St. Thomas on an afternoon for the duty free stuff. Otherwise, I don't think there's THAT much more to find in St. Thomas than you can get in St. John.

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

Hi Tethered!

Alex98 - St john has very few shops but I enjoy them very much. You can get lots of local caribbean art and locally made jewelry, my favorite items. RI Patton in Mongoose Junction is one of my favorite jewelry shops. There's original art in shops in Mongoose Junction, Warfside Village and oneblock up by the Lime Tree. An interesting place in Coral Bay that does mosaics, tables, wall art, etc. They'll ship and do custom pieces. None are full of the same old thing.

As for STT duty free - just a word, duty free is does not equal best price. You may actually find readily available items, like watches, china, etc., for a better price at home or online if you do some good shopping. It is tax free, both import tax and sales tax. There's a huge choice. If you go into this knowing that you'll probably get a good price, not necessairly the absolutely the lowest price, then by all means go and enjoy Charlotte Amalie and Havensite mall, where the cruise ships dock. The usual suspects have mutiple shops both places. limit your time in these shops. after awhile it's just the same thing, different store.

The single best buy on the islands is liquor. I only bring back a bottle or two, but you can buy your limit very cheaply.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping at St. Thomas or St. John

Hi back, earlybrass! Leaving on Friday for 9 days. Chartering Trawler out of STT, and of course, spending a few days on STJ- without kids this time! YAHOOOOOOO!!

Anyway, my husband, an internet guru by profession, says the best prices he's ever been able to get on anything is online. He buys things from out-of -state from retailers who do not do business in our state thereby avoiding sales tax. Then, he tries to get free shipping as well...

Alex- If you like to spend time shopping on vacation, just do it!!!!