We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Beach

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sapphire Beach

Will sapphire beach cam be online any time soon?

7 replies to this topic
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire Beach

It probably depends on the status of their Internet Service Provider. The internet has not been restored island-wide.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire Beach

I don't think it is a priority right now. The staff is extremely busy on repairs and clean up. There is still much work to be done and when it gets done they will get the webcam operating again.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire Beach

Viya is one of the largest providers of TV, Phone and Broadband service. I was in their Tutu office on Monday asking when service might be restored since WAPA had gotten the power back on at all 4 Sapphire properties. After waiting 50 minutes to speak to a representative I was told: "Sometime next year, hopefully early in the year." I believed her.

WAPA has done an admirable job in light of the task at hand; you can barely travel 1/2 mile without spotting an electrical service vehicle and facebook daily updates have been helpful. Viya repair vehicles are eerily absent and for a company that specializes in communications and data services, they should be ashamed of themselves for the lack of info.

Everybody is anxious to get WiFi back because cell phone service is so spotty. Once that is up and running again I'll guess the cameras will follow.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire Beach

Viya internet is working though not 100%. Vita is distributing mobile hotspots to its internet customers and you can get a phone they distribute to use as a mobile hotspot. Some people I know have been using them for over a month and they think service is fine under these conditions.

The other ISPs have been swamped so many now have internet especially businesses.

Edited: 2:29 pm, December 15, 2017
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
848 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire Beach

I have been to the island three times since the storms to tend to my properties and I couldn't understand why there was no VIYA internet or cable service when there is a buried fiber optic cable that was placed in the roadways several years ago. I thought to myself that that cable would not have been damaged by the storm. But I was informed that the buried fiber optic cable is owned by the government and VIYA has not leased space on it, choosing instead to stick with its cabling on utility poles. Off course the storm severely impacted the pole-based cabling, while the underground cabling apparently remains operational. Who uses the government owned cable? Why doesn't VIYA lease space on it rather than trying to rebuild a pole-based system that will take time and will not hold up in the next storm? Very poor planning--which sounds about right for Viya.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire Beach

Most of the ISPs use the government's underground cable, but that underground cable doesn't provide internet access in homes and businesses - the ISPs do that. They provide "last mile" internet connectivity. Nobody has found funding to put all utilities on island underground, but there is talk of strengthening the poles.

There is VIYA internet if you get the mobile hotspot. You have to register for it online at viya.vi. Many people, though, switched from viya to BroadbandVI, Smartnet, Surge, etc because they were able to provide service to some people a few days after the storm.

Viya also installed free hotspots around the island and locations are posted on several websites. They were initially very slow, because so many people were on it, but speed is much better now.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,078 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire Beach

As long as you have line of sight to one of their towers, Broadband VI has worked extremely well for me. I waited in line twice for over an hour for one of the Viya gizmos and the subsequent runaround did it for me.

Reply to: Sapphire Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted