We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To come or not to come?

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
821 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
To come or not to come?

We booked a condo at Sapphire for late in March and are trying to decide if it still makes sense to come to St. Thomas. In spite of having lost part of his roof and needing to replace many things, condo owner is optimistic it will be completed by then and of course wants us to come....but looking for other unbiased opinions as it it is not a cheap flight for two from the west coast. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To come or not to come?

Come and enjoy. Sapphire sustained minimal damage,

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To come or not to come?

Hi Seaspirit, which Sapphire? There are 4 condo properties that fall under that general heading. Roof damage suggests Sapphire Village which is where I am today.

Temporary repairs were performed quickly and I noticed the manager discussing long-term repairs with a contractor earlier this week. The insurance company has been slow to react up until now but I think it's clear sailing from here on.

Edited: 5:44 am, December 14, 2017
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To come or not to come?

I'm coming end of dec is beach open

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To come or not to come?

Beach is open and so is the Sapphire Beach Bar.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To come or not to come?

Ok thank u!

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To come or not to come?

I have rented a villa on the north side for january, how is the internet service and is AT&T up to full strenght? I am hearing conflicting things like the downtown shops are only taking cash and No credit cards due to no internet

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To come or not to come?

According to what I was told last week by people I spoke to AT&T was rapidly improving. I have Sprint and my phone misbehaved but the fault may have been my settings. Internet service was dependent upon the area and the provider. I was using a Viya hotspot that worked flawlessly but I heard many people were unhappy with them at first.

Credit cards, I came prepared with cash but most all places I shopped were taking cards. I can understand the conflicting reports about "cash only" since there seemed to be little rhyme or reason to the cash requirement since some vendors saying they were "Cash only" were located in the same complex as vendors accepting plastic. As a credit card vendor myself, I understand the temptation in saving 3%.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To come or not to come?

Whether a merchant can accept credit cards usually depends on their internet availability. Many stores are missing impulse sales because not everyone walks around with wads of cash. Since internet infrastructure is still not complete and there are still power failures, good idea to plan on possibility of using both.

Reply to: To come or not to come?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted