We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this side of the island as nice as the north side

Michigantown...
1 post
Save Topic
is this side of the island as nice as the north side

thinking about staying at the Sand Castle and need to know if the beaches are as nice as the north side where the Buccaneer hotel is located

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

The beaches are beautiful at both spots. Buccaneer is a resort with full amenities (and prices to match). SandCastle is a small boutique hotel with an upscale restaurant on a beautiful beach but far from the town of Christiansted where lots of fun things to do and great restaurants are. The Buccaneer is closer to Christiansted. It depends on what kind of vacation experience you are looking for.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
912 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

With the return of the cruise ships there are many activities available in F'sted too. You can rent jet skis, kyaks, ATV's, go horse back riding amoung the things to do in F'sted. There are also fun beach bars and restaurants available too. It's a slower pace than C'sted, if you can believe it! LOL

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

The Buccaneer is a bit more 'refined' than Sandcastles. As a previous poster stated, it all depends on what kind of vacation you like!

The beaches in the west end of STX are second to none in the Caribbean.

If fact, what we consider to be one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean, Sandy Point, is a short walk from Sandcastles.

Stay at Sandcastes, rent a car and tour the island. Regardless of where you stay, there is a lot to do or see on STX.

Don't tell anyone but our TA photo was taken at Sandy Point!

Edited: 4:52 pm, January 10, 2011
Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

Another thing to be aware of is that some characteristics of the beaches change based on season and weather and exposure to the wind.

The prevailing winds in the winter season come from the East Northeast - So the Windward side of the island is generally considered to be the East end and North Shore. This is where you will see the greatest congregation of Kite Surfers (Prune Bay / Coakley Bay), and Surfers (Judiths Fancy...). Also on a still day, this is where you will have the greatest comfort from the sea breeze. That said, some beaches on the east side feature calm waters due to their protection from wind (an example would be the beach at Chenay Bay which is sheltered from wind and surf by Pull Point.

On a really windy day, the West end beaches in the Fredericksted area will generally have the calmest clearest water.

So, if you like to sleep with the windows open and enjoy a sea breeze at night, then the East End and North Shore may be more to your liking. If you enjoy more consistently calm water and beautiful sunsets then the west end may be for you.

The great thing is that the island is so manageable that you can pick your beach of the day based upon prevailing weather and what ever you feel like experiencing.

I recently read a great article about the three predominant climate zones on the island, I will try to find it and post a link to it. I think it is a really good read.

Hope this helps.

There is something to offer for everyone.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
337 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

That's the "ghetto" side of the island, sure, both sides have public housing ghosttowns, but the west side is scarier and more full of litter, much less activity in town day or night. The beaches are about equal, Rainbow vs. Pelican Cove, as far as snorkeling, but nicer landscaping on the east end beaches. Try to secure a kitchen with your lodging, the cost of the Buccaneer is equal to a big condo, and if you like eating good food you'll want to have your own kitchen in St. Croix. Also: Use your American Express card whenever possible as you'll be charged AN EXTRA 3% FOR VISA AND MASTERCARD TRANSACTIONS...

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

I agree with the first 4 posters.

I also thought what thepinkhousestcr posted was extremely helpful in making a decision on where you might want to stay. Everything depends on when your vacation is planned.

Paula

Boston
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

it is patently UNTRUE that you get charged an extra 3% in the USVI. The 3% charge is for transactions in a foreign country. The USVI is a US Territory and this issue was hashed out on the forum a while ago and I have personally traveled there and used my MC and VISA with no charges as have many others.

tplife - you are getting really boring, maybe you should give it a rest or at least check your facts.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
912 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

Maybe TP doesn't like "those people".

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

On a recent trip I stayed at the Buccaneer but was able to make it to the west side and to the beach near Cottages on the Sea. The thing that struck me was that the view was very wide and flat on the west end; the shoreline was relatively straight and so you get a panoramic view of the ocean. At the Buccaneer, the view is much more varied, with large hills/mountains in the distance, rocks that jut out separating beaches, etc. The sand was probably better near Cottages, but I preferred the Buccaneer beach as I thought it to be prettier.

Also, I can assure people that I used a Visa card and was not charged an extra 3%. I was charged the same as I was billed by the vendor.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
337 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is this side of the island as nice as the north side

saffie, CitiCards incorrectly cited the USVI as an "overseas" location and said that we would be charged a 3% surcharge. They made an error and a supervisor later apologized. We don't think it's a big deal, and neither should you. There were a few places we visited that only took cash, and that was fine with us as we came to visit the island and it's locals, not to hang out by the pool with little umbrella drinks!

Get answers to your questions about Frederiksted