We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sugar beach condos

detroit michigan
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
sugar beach condos

We just returned from a Sugar Beach condos two week stay. First, some mentioned low income housing across the road as an issue. These units are quiet, clean, and never bothered us in the least. I have seen far worse on other islands and in the states.

My biggest disappointment is the beach area. It is a wide beach with new lounges, but it is not good swimming due to rocks on the beach and duck weed in the water. I love to go in the ocean when in the Caribbean and this was not appealing. (We went to Buccaneer, and Protestant Cay hotel on the Cay). The sand is not powdery but filled with little shell pebbles making it hard to walk. If you like a swimming pool there is a beautiful pool onsite with new lounges, we just happen to like the beach.

The condos are about 30 years old. Our particular unit had outdated furnishings. I know the units vary according to owners, but ours definitely needed updating. The unit was very clean with kitchen well appointed. Units have a huge porch facing the ocean which is an added plus. The residents of this complex are very friendly and welcoming. They went out of their way to welcome us and answer any questions. Every day at 5 anywhere from 4 to 20 owners and renters meet at the pool for cocktails. We went and were warmly included in their group. They even got together and had a lobster roast one evening.

This complex is quite close to town and restaurants, but you definitely needs a car. Some other complexes are much further away from everything. (grocery, restaurant).

If you are visiting for warm weather, great ocean views, and a beautiful pool this is a great spot. Beachgoer not so great. We also went to several spots for snorkeling and were disappointed, one spot that was rated "excellent" we had to walk on slippery rocks on a narrow path with sea urchins on both sides and then the reef was dead with no fish. We did visit several other complexes and I have to say St Croix is not known for their great beaches. Most had reefs close to shore, rocky, with pebbly sand. We did enjoy going to Protestant Cay, but looking back at it I will not be going back to St Croix.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sugar beach condos

Thanks for your candid review, Karen. I completely understand your wants and that they weren't successfully met on St. Croix. You'll find your bliss, I'm sure! For me, I'm obsessed with St. Croix. It feels perfect!

Can you tell us where you had your bad snorkeling experience? It sounds like the Renaissance Carambola, but it could also have been Tamarind Reef. If Tamarind, I'm surprised, because I saw some nice, healthy coral there in 2011.

Thanks for the review of Sugar Beach condos; this topic comes up often. For future, I always include the unit number or vrbo reference number because when I research a condo or villa, that's what I'm looking for. It's always nice to help future visitors.

Again, thanks for you review and I sure hope you find the island that makes you happy. I know I've found mine and that feeling is great! Too bad there isn't a website where we could click boxes for what we're looking for then a few Caribbean island that match your desires pops up. Researching Caribbean islands is exhausting!

detroit michigan
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sugar beach condos

Different strokes for different folks, right. I did enjoy St Croix, but I guess we look for different things. Tamarind Reef is where we did the snorkeling. Sugar Beach Unit 209 is where we stayed. We move around the Caribbean and have a pretty good feel of the islands. Certainly better than the cold and snow this winter.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sugar beach condos

Sorry to hear you will not be coming back to STX. You do bring up a valid point that I struggle with at times on this forum when people write a particular location has a "great beach". Great beach, I have found, does not mean a great spot to go swimming or even a sandy bottom with water access. Seems you might have thought the same thing about Sugar Beach Condos. My suggestion would be to give STX another try and maybe stay at Gentle Winds condos. Sandy beach and Cane Bay is very close for snorkeling. ;-)

Christiansted, St...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: sugar beach condos

Karen-

I am so sorry that you found our unit to be uncomfortable.

Our sofa bed is less than 2 years old and our mattress is

a very firm posturepedic. I have never in 16 years received

a negative review and wished that you had called me during

your stay. Most of my guests truly enjoy the beach-sad to

hear you didn't. I guess your right- different strokes for

different folks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sugar beach condos

I do not doubt your account of the snorkeling at Tamarind, Karen, but I have snorkeled there 20 plus times and have never been disappointed. Always see schools of blue tang, living corals and sponges, and a sea turtle or two. Mimi at the beach shack is an expert of the underwater environment here, and should be consulted before venturing out. My experience has been as you enter the reef, it starts out slow, and gets better and better and better as you swim parallel to the reef towards the rooms at the hotel. As you get down to the last few rooms of the hotel, there is a colorful, dreamlike sea fan garden. Perhaps you did not swim down far enough, do not know, just know that snorkeling is an activity of chance and discovery to a large degree.

As far as St Croix not having beautiful sand beaches........hummm.....Did you get to Cane Bay or Sandy Point?.

Edited: 8:27 pm, March 20, 2014
6. Re: sugar beach condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, March 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted