We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

St. Louis, MO
2 posts
Save Topic
Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

Hello - My fiance and I are getting married in June in St. Croix. We are staying at private homes for a week and after that are looking for a hotel to stay in (on a budget!!) We thought about the Pink Fancy, but I heard the positieve reviews on them are fake. We need help and running out of time. Looking for something affordable, clean, with a pool, within walking distance(or short taxi ride) to downtown Christiansted. Can anyone help? Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

The Pink Fancy has been getting mostly good reviews for years. Keep in mind that it's not a resort with lots of amenties. It's not on the beach and the neighborhood is a lttle rough. I have never been to the place but it does look nice enough when you drive by it. To me it's the kind of a place that will give you the old style Caribbean experience.

I might suggest that you don't reserve anything in advance. June is off season and you should probably be able to get a room almost anywhere. I also strongly recommend renting a car during your first week. A small car is all you need and they are cheap enough during the off sesaon. I think you can get one for a little over $200/week. You will accumulate that much in taxi fees pretty quickly. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to figure out where you want to stay. Don't rule out Fredericksted or the Cane Bay area too stay at. The island has a great selection of accomodations.

We always stay at The Buccaneer and I believe that it is a great value in the off season. The Mtn.View rooms are very nice and go for about $250/night with lots of extras. The buffet breakfast is included in the room rate and it is a great way to start the day. Lots and lots of fruit,eggs,pancakes cereal,juices,pastry and so on. Check out their "explore & rejuvenate" package on their website for the details. Right now if you stay a week you get one night free plus $100 dining credit and another $100 towards whatever else you want to use it for onsite.

I think you made a good choice in St.Croix for your wedding. We will be going back again in June for our 10th trip. It's our favorite island,having been to about 10 others over the years.

I have checked out a bunch of other hotels over the years. My oldest son has been to the island 3 times and he has stayed at Hotel on the Cay,The Carambola and the Caravelle. I've had lunch at several other spots so if I can answer any questions,let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cane Bay
Cane Bay
308 Reviews
St. Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,497 Reviews
St. Croix
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hotel on the Cay
Hotel on the Cay
514 Reviews
St. Croix
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

The Pink Fancy has been getting mostly good reviews for years. Keep in mind that it's not a resort with lots of amenties. It's not on the beach and the neighborhood is a lttle rough. I have never been to the place but it does look nice enough when you drive by it. To me it's the kind of a place that will give you the old style Caribbean experience.

I might suggest that you don't reserve anything in advance. June is off season and you should probably be able to get a room almost anywhere. I also strongly recommend renting a car during your first week. A small car is all you need and they are cheap enough during the off sesaon. I think you can get one for a little over $200/week. You will accumulate that much in taxi fees pretty quickly. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to figure out where you want to stay. Don't rule out Fredericksted or the Cane Bay area too stay at. The island has a great selection of accomodations.

We always stay at The Buccaneer and I believe that it is a great value in the off season. The Mtn.View rooms are very nice and go for about $250/night with lots of extras. The buffet breakfast is included in the room rate and it is a great way to start the day. Lots and lots of fruit,eggs,pancakes cereal,juices,pastry and so on. Check out their "explore & rejuvenate" package on their website for the details. Right now if you stay a week you get one night free plus $100 dining credit and another $100 towards whatever else you want to use it for onsite.

I think you made a good choice in St.Croix for your wedding. We will be going back again in June for our 10th trip. It's our favorite island,having been to about 10 others over the years.

I have checked out a bunch of other hotels over the years. My oldest son has been to the island 3 times and he has stayed at Hotel on the Cay,The Carambola and the Caravelle. I've had lunch at several other spots so if I can answer any questions,let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cane Bay
Cane Bay
308 Reviews
St. Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,497 Reviews
St. Croix
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hotel on the Cay
Hotel on the Cay
514 Reviews
St. Croix
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

Woops !! Happy Fingers.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

Congratulations on your wedding! I definitely recommend Carringtons Inn. You can't go wrong. Check out the reviews and their website.

Carringtons is located on a hill about Christiansted with a gorgeous view of the harbor. It is walking "distance" to downtown but you can't really walk because there are no sidewalks or berms on the road down the hill. But the distance is so short a cab cannot be very expensive. Several times when we've been there we have given rides into town to other guests who didn't have a car. This may work out for you also. It is easy to meet the other guests because there are only 5 rooms and everyone usually shows up for breakfast around the same time. Or you may see other guests around the pool or in the honor bar. Breakfast is fabulous. Claudia and Roger provide quite a feast and it's enough to keep you going until the evening. I agree with the above post that if you can afford a car, you should get one (at least for a couple of days). It's a fabulous, diverse island with so much to see.

Congrats again!

Mentioned in this post
ny
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

I really enjoyed the Habiscus last year,it was pretty basic but clean and right on the beach,also you can walk to two restaurants from your room.I think it was 100 a night on special.It is outside of town but there is a car rental place(thrifty?) on the corner.

have fun and congrat's

ny
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

oops,"Hibiscus"

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

We stayed at the Pink Fancy last year for two days until our condo was available. It is a VERY clean place, comfortable with an old world feel like the above poster said. I believe it was only $110 a night. That's the positive. The negative in my opinion is that the pool is not that big, it isn't close to a beach (or even within viewing distance), has no restaurant on the premises, and the neighborhood you have to walk through to get to town is alittle seedy.

The Buccaneer is a great place, I would look into what kind of deal you can get with them. Several people on these message boards have mentioned that they will deal with you, esp in the summer months. Great beach and restaurant.

If, however, you are on a really tight budget and the Buc is out of the question, have you looked into staying at one of the hotels right on the water in Christiansted? I believe they are more reasonable in price, just not very 'fancy' places. Hotel on the Cay is another place you might consider. A short (3 minute) small ferry ride from town and situated on a small island with restaurant and surrounded by beaches. Alittle run down, but many people like it there. I'm familiar with Carrington's Inn and even though it's nice, it really isn't close to a beach. If you have a car then you can reach several beaches from that area, about a 5 or 10 minute drive depending on where you want to go.

You really should think about getting a car if you can fit it into the budget! So much to see and so many great beaches and restaurants to explore. Driving is easy, even though it's on the left, you get used to it very quickly.

Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
1,497 Reviews
St. Croix
Hotel on the Cay
Hotel on the Cay
514 Reviews
St. Croix
St.Croix
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

Hi Shan, Glad to here you are coming to St.Croix for your wedding.

My wife and I moved here a year ago and love it! I enjoy chat with seasoned travelers and wandered in here. We stayed at the Pink Fancy for 2 weeks before moving into our new home. We found the hotel to be as described in the reviews, forget the mushy stuff. The owners could not be more kind or helpful. The hotel is a beautifully restored (and colorful) Old caribbean hotel compound, full of history and charm. Great place if your looking for a personal touch and enjoy being around interesting people. We were able to walk to everything and had no problem or concern. I have not looked for negative reviews and probably won't, not my style. Probably would be more concerned if there wern't any. I posted a review just after my stay and mine was not fake. Special hotel, I highly recommend.

By the way, who is this self appointed expert, they always scare me.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

I would like to respond to the last posting by islandretired. Postings on this site are individual's opinions based on their experience and knowledge of the island. I am glad you had a good experience at the Pink Fancy Hotel. Others may have not. Plus giving the prospective visitors other options is certainly not a crime. Those of us who live here try to help out visitors as best we can.

The next point is that Shan76 was here in June for his wedding. Your post was today, July 8th. Probably a little too late.

You comment about "self appointed experts" refers to, I guess, the icon by some of the names of postings. These people have unique knowledge and are willing to share it with others over the past years. Basically, they have earned that designation. The ones from STX have lived here somewhat more than one year and the others from the states have visited here many, many times.

What we try to do is help others make decision about their travel to STX in the most objective was possible. And I certainly welcome you to the group of locals who do just that.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Affordable nice hotel in St. Croix?

Hey Pilotboy. Good response.Well said. I think I'll look you up next year when we come back to the island. I wonder who these smug self appointed experts are too. I'm not one of them and I know you aren't either. I will be back next June for our 11th visit. When you go out for a few beers, where do you go? This past month I brought my cousin and his wife along and I believe we have two more fans of St.Croix. Everyone that has ever come down with us have loved it. If being a big promoter of St.Croix classifies me as a self appointed expert,then so be it.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted