We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Is there a time of year that the mosquitos are not as bad?

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

I don't think mosquitos are ever a big issue but no see ums are (tiny, flea-like bugs that bite without you knowing it and leave itchy bites). As long as there is a breeze blowing, the no see ums won't be a problem. But if it's calm and at the dusk hour, I strongly encourage you to use bug spray. And be sure to bring some hydrocortizone with you.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

I've never had a problem with mosquitos UNTIL this trip and I think that's because it's rained almost every day. In fact a thunderstorm with heavy rain just passed-- but they're telling us that's it for a few days. We've had a lot of tiny super fast mosquitos zipping around and going in for the bite when you least expect it. I'm covered with bites because they got to me before I realized it. So it's better to be prepared and bring something with you just in case. Hydrocortizone--- YES! I'm sitting here typing and scratching my legs with an emory board, knowing I need to stop that now ;)

Paula

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Hey Paula,

So sorry to hear that you've had a lot of rain....weird timing, isn't it? Guess that's no consolation to those of you who are there. Hope it clears soon and that you get some sun!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

This is good to know. I can't wait to return to St. Croix. I am looking at early December, after hurricane season has past.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

I will bring off and a emory board just in case! Thanks for your suggestions.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Hi Carol,

One thing about cool, overcast/rainy weather is that instead of heading to the beach, we keep heading downtown to wander the shops. Unfortunately, we've done some impluse buying. Now how am I going to get this three and a half ft wooden cat back home?! And why couldn't I have been impulsive in Sonya's instead of Gone Tropical?!

We had breakfast at the Bucc where Stephani seated us by the rail so we could enjoy that view with the buffet. Quite a few people there for this time of the year.

@smile4u-- I've found a tv remote works just as well! ;)

Paula

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

We LOVE Stephanie!!! Thanks for giving me a happy thought to start my day.

Watch that impulse buying. And be sure to visit Many Hands in Christiansted to find some art to bring home (it's easier to pack than a wooden cat!!!).

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

We love Stephani,too. :) She's been our waitress several times now-- she always tries to make your Buccaneer experience a good one, whether you're staying there or not. This last time she gave me a silver Bucc pen so " I'd remember us"--- as if anyone could forget it!

Just yesterday my husband said he wanted to buy a piece of art from Many Hands to take home. When my parents lived on St Croix, my mom bought several pieces from there. In fact, when my husband and I got married our first Christmas tree ornaments were from Many Hands and were a handmade palm tree and sugar mill. A fun memory every year when we decorate the tree! Actually next Thursday is Art Thursday when all the art shops and (I've heard) some of the stores open--we may wait and take a good look around then. :) I've never been to an Art Thursday and I've heard they're a lot of fun.

Paula

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

A tv remote? That is funny. I love the Buc too. The first trip, first day we went and paid the facility fee and laid out on the beach, It was nice to relax/lime on that beautiful beach. The bloody mary's there were terrific too. I just love St. Croix. We are going back Dec 6 thru the 12th. I would go sooner but we have to go to Cape Cod and Boston on the 21st for my husband's family. I made the reservation for St. Croix as soon as hurricane season is over. I will also take note about the shopping on rainy days. Thanks for giving me yalls advice.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos

smile4u....which 21st are you going to Cape Cod and Boston? I live outside Boston and have a house on the Cape. Let me know if you need any info but sounds like hubby's family is here.

Paula, so cute about Stephanie. She's amazing. When we sat down to have our first breakfast this year, she immediately brought me skim milk and the kids/teens chocolate milk. She remembered from our previous visits. That's incredible service. I can just hear her melodious voice as I type this.

Art Thursday is definitely fun. We usually enjoy it on Company Street....wonder if Many Hands is actually open that night. Tell the owner, Bob, that the woman from Boston and Cape Cod who flew back to Boston on the same plane as his sister this past March says hi (think he'd actually remember?!?).

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted