We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to this forum. Need advice.

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New to this forum. Need advice.

So happy Marriott /Renaissance" has a new Carribean resort. Since we are platimum we mostly vacation at Marriott on points.

I have so many questions.. any and all info or comments would be appreciated about the resort. Favorite places to visit, best places to eat. Anything! I finally get to go to a 'new' place!

Thanksl

Ps.. I understand the property was formerly Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

Down the road from Carambola, heading to the east, is the Cane Bay area where there is wonderful diving (The Wall, The Vertigo), a really nice large beach and some of our favorite north shore restaurants: Off The Wall Beach Bar, EAT@Cane Bay, Rowdy Joe's. I think there's a new one, too, since we were there last April - something where the old Lobster Reef was located. There's also Bogey's - never stopped there but plan to try it.

Here are a couple of sites that may help you:

http://www.northshorestcroix.com/

www.gotostcroix.com

Have a great time!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

Make sure you rent a car!

The Carambola was the location for the end of the Dan Akroid/Eddy Murphy movie "Trading Places".

We're staying there for the second time in Nov. Read about the upgrades that Marriot made. Can't wait.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

What upgrades at the Marriott/ Ren.

They were not so helpful. Thank you so much. I am planning on Oct or Nov. I have been to St. Thomas and St. Johns. Not St. Croix. Thrilled about the new place.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

Arubbound, welcome to "our" part of the Caribbean. You will find many of us on this board passionate about St. Croix but not everyone loves the island as much as we do.

Who wasn't helpful? Marriott? I would suggest that you keep reading the reviews of Carambola here on TA as the weeks pass as I think you will get a good feel for whether much renovating has gone on. And hopefully someone on island who is a regular here might have a chance to check things out and report for us.

St. Croix is not like St. Thomas or St. John. St. John's beaches are incomparable (in my opinion), but STX has many beautiful ones. And St. Thomas is much more developed with many more people as visitors by far than St. Croix. Think of STX as the laid back Virgin. Nice resorts but nothing as luxurious as the Ritz. Shopping that is interesting and fun for a half day or two half days, but not a place you'd fly to for shopping. It's simply relaxed and beautiful. Island time reigns. Buck Island is a national treasure and is a must do. If you visit between November and April and are there on a Saturday or Sunday, do go to Sandy Point for a gorgeous beach with few people (they filmed the closing scene of Shawshank Redemption here).

One of our favorite things about STX is that it has many wonderful restaurants (Rumrunners, Bacchus, Savant, Kendricks, Salud, Duggans among them). Christiansted (where many of these are located) is a bit of a drive from Carambola but there are other fun places to try near the resort.

Let us know if you have other specific questions.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

Thanks everyone! I love the way ccrosner speaks in 'airport city codes'..

I am def going to Marriott/Ren in Oct or Nov. Will post a review!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

The Renaissance is a beautiful resort in a spectacular location. You will love it!

Some of my favorite places to eat are:

Off the Wall Beach Bar in Cane Bay, very casual beach bar, really good pizza and sandwiches, awesome location and bar.Our favorite beach bar anywhere! Located in Cane Bay, about 5 minutes from the resort.

eat @ cane Bay, casual beach bar in Cane Bay, right across from the beach, live music several nights, good weekend brunch, burgers and salads

Spratnet Beach Bar - very casual beach bar right on Cane Bay beach. Sit at the bar with a view of the beach. Some really good bar food.

The Waves Hotel - great location in Cane Bay. Would be really nice for sunset dinner! http://www.canebaystcroix.com/restaurant.html

Rythyms at Rainbow Beach - on the west end (Frederiksted - beach bar & restaurant, very casual, good food, nice swimming beach.

Kendrick's - Christiansted (expensive) very good food and great atmosphere.

Bacchus - Christiansted (expensive) Steaks, seafood, etc. great food, very nice place, very nice wine selection.

Rumrunner's - Christiansted Boardwalk (expensive for dinner, not so bad for lunch, great location)

Brew Pub - Christiansted Boardwalk St. Croix's only fresh brewed beer, live music several nights of the week

Angry Nates - Christiansted Boardwalk - really good food! One of our favorites.

Savant - Christiansted just east of the Fort (fairly expensive) if the outside patio is open definitely get a table out there. One of our favorites!

Tuto Bene - Christiansted - just east of town (fairly expensive) Very nice Italian food with a Caribbean flair

Cultured Pelican - at the Coakley Bay Condos out east, very good Italian and Pizza

Duggan's - at Reef Beach on the east end, great food and location but pricey.

Cheeseburger's in Paradise - Burgers...need I say more, on the North Shore out east

The Galleon - Steaks, lamb, lobster, etc. Overlooking the water and yachts at Green Cay Marina.

Deep End Bar & Grill - Located on the beach at the Tamarind Reef Hotel, Green Cay Marina - inexpensive for lunch, nice place.

Domino Club - In the rain forest. Home of the beer drinking pigs. Best burgers on the island on Wed. & Thursday. Other daily specials. One of the most unique places you will ever visit.

Take a look at http://www.stcroixtourism.com/dining.htm for more dining info. There is a map showing where restaurants are generally located on the island.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

I booked tonight! Thanks everyone. Staying Oct 23-30.

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

I am jealous.....

9. Re: New to this forum. Need advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 19, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted