We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions regarding upcoming trip

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions regarding upcoming trip

I already asked a cell phone question but realized I have others!

We and another couple are staying at the Palms at Pelican Cove June 9-13 which we are excited about. My husband's 50th birthday is June 11. Can you recommend a restaurant for that evening. I'm sure we'll go casual most of the time there but would like that night to be a little more special. Not super fancy but nice. Also, what kind of dress for a place like that?

We did a lot of diving in the past but none in the past 15 years. We wouldn't mind doing shallow diving- say less than 35 feet but it seems like all the dives are wall dives there? I know the snorkeling is good but we would like to possibly dive, too.

Where would you recommend getting "essentials" - packs of diet coke, munchies, etc.?

Thanks!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

Hi,

Congratulations to your husband on turning 50! I did the same last year and my big present was a family trip to St. Croix :) In fact, we celebrated my 51st birthday last night and my kids said to me, "Don't expect another trip to St. Croix when you open that present!" A lovely memory I will cherish forever.

You are in for a great time on STX. For a special occasion restaurant, I would pick Bacchus (best food and service on the island imo), Kendricks (very good food and a great island atmosphere as it's in an open courtyard) or Savant (very good food, service can be challenging but a very romantic and unique courtyard that you'd never see anywhere else).

As for dress, STX is very casual but I do 'dress up' more when I go to restaurants like those above. Husband wears nice shorts and a collared shirt and I wear a sundress or dressy capris.

There are several places where you can pick up supplies once you get on the island. Are you renting a car? Most folks either go to Kmart (at the Sunny Isles shopping center) or Pueblo (which isn't far from the Palms).

As for diving, check out SCUBA (St. Croix Underwater Blue Adventure). They do 40 foot dives that don't require certification. Or you can try Anchor Dive (my husband's favorite now) but I'm not sure if they have the same thing.

Have fun!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

I second all of the above restaurant recommendations, I think they are the best 3 restaurants on the island. They are quite different and perhaps you can look at their menus on line to see which one appeals to you. We eat at all three of them on every trip.

We went to the K-mart on our last trip to buy rum, but their selection of food/snacks was not very good. They did not even have any pineapple juice, so I would go to the Pueblo grocery store which is near your hotel.

Make sure you rent a car and get out and see the island when you are there.

Have a great trip!

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

Thank you very much, you two! I have read about Savant and Bacchus and will look into Kendricks. The dress was what I was hoping for. It's sort of what we wear out to dinner in Florida this time of the year!

Great tips on the stores for supplies. Where exactly is that Kmart. I'd read there was one there. Will it be easy to find on the way from the airport to the hotel? We are definitely renting a car.

Is Buck Island worth doing?

Thank you, cc, for the info on SCUBA. I had not heard of them. I'll look them up! Happy belated bday!

If there is anything else you all (or anyone!) can think of that would help our trip, please post again!

Edited: 5:33 pm, June 05, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

There are two K-marts, one on Centerline Rd. closer to F'sted and one at Sunny Isle. Yes, Buck Island is worth doing and also Tan Tan tours are worth doing. We did not do them until the third trip and we loved it. Don't try to plan too much. Once you get there you will find that you ease into island time. We do one or two things a trip and then just relax for the rest of the time. The food on the island is really good so make sure you get out of your hotel and enjoy the restaurants.

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

Thank you, Saffie! We are really looking forward to going! I'll try to get my husband to relax while there! That's always the challenge on vacation. He wants to go and see everything while I like to spend some time just "being". The typical Type A and Type Z. :) The other couple will enjoy everything, too.

Two Kmarts! Wow, big time! Even our Kmart closed down. ;)

I can't wait to go! Only 4 more days!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

I hope you enjoy your trip. A couple of last minute tips:

1. pack essentials in a carry-on unless you have a direct flight. Sometimes the luggage arrives on a later plane so bring a bathing suit and change of clothes (and of course medication, glasses, etc that shoudl never be checked anyway).

2. bring some food with you on the airplane. We got really delayed last trip on the way back and I thought I would starve!

3. On the way back, you may want to bring a sandwich as the food at the airport is very sparse. It is a kiosk with snacks basically.

4. Greet local people with a good morning, good afternoon, etc, before asking questions. It is the way they do it there and you will get better information and might end up having a wonderful conversation.

5. Don't wear beach attire outside of your hotel or the beach. It is a big no no.

I am sure there is more. Enjoy your trip. It is a great island!

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

Can anyone tell me if the Frame Up art supply shop is still open on st croix....thanks my email is artbytheo@hotmail.com thank you

Edited: 12:52 pm, June 07, 2010
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

STX is a great island and the advice of not trying to squeeze too much in is good. I always have big ideas before we go and end up ,maybe, doing half of the things that I wanted to do. We always have a great time by just going with the flow. Try to get to the beer drinking pigs place up in the rain forest. The owner Norma is a great lady and the place itself is neat. I love it. Hit some beach bars like the ones at Cane Bay, have a beer or two and talk to the other people at the bar. It's amazing to me how many interesting people we bump into. We always seem to have something in common with so many people. I could give you examples ,but just believe me, I've never been on a single trip in the last 15 years where I didn't find someone who had a connection to my hometown or to someone else that we both know. The restaurant choices are excellent and just read the reviews to find a few that interest you. As far as Buck Island goes, it is simply a great experience. For the life of me,I can't figure out why some people complain about the snorkeling there. If you read a review that says that the coral is all dead or that there is very little marine life, do not buy it. Sure there is damage to the coral that was caused by some major hurricanes about 15 years ago. That damged coral seems to be lying in some of the deeper spots in the snorkleing area. There is plenty of active, live coral, schools of brightly colored blue tangs, smaller scchools of many other types of interesting fish. You'll likely see several barracuda, a turtle or two, tons of beautiful parrotfish and lots of variety. If you get lucky you see nurse sharks, pipefish, eels, rays or whatever. We went to BI on our last trip at the end of May and I have to say that it was as good as it ever was. In fact for whatever reason, it seemed to be more healthy and vibrant than ever. Just get to STX and do whatever you feel like trying. No big agendas. I bet you'll fall into that island time mindset after a few days and understand what all of the return visitors find so wonderful about the place. Good Luck..

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

What great advice stcroixtraveler. We are planning our first trip and had already decided to follow your advice to just go with the flow. We are that kind of travelers anyway. Learned long ago that trying to "do it all, see it all" is more taxing than relaxing. Had planned though to see Buck Island so thanks for the info. I was kind of surprised to see some say its not worth the trip but it hadn't changed my mind on trying to go there.

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions regarding upcoming trip

Thank you, Saffie, for the wonderful detailed information! I am definitely taking it all in. I really appreciate the help!

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted