We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san jose, ca
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Hello-

We will be visiting in November for our honeymoon, and would like some recommendations on some good eats.

#1. Cheap/tasty eats

#2. Ambience Tasty Eats

My fiance is a sushi chef at google, and really enjoys good food, from cheap hole in the wall places, to nicer, fine dining spots. Also, since we're here for our honeymoon, I'd like beautiful views, and pretty restaurants.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, along with the price range for a meal for 2, so we can start planning our budget.

We took your advice, and are staying at the Buccanneer, and will be renting a car for 2 days and hanging out at our resort the other 3 days.

Thanks so much!

Vi

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Hi Vi,

There are a ton of posts on restaurants in St Croix on the forum. Maybe you can do a search. You should get some really good information if you do that. There is one I remember by ccrosner that was really good.

I think it is generally agreed that two of the best restaurants on the island are Kendricks and Bacchus. My favorite is Kendricks - and it is a gorgeous setting.

Good luck and have fun.

Saffie

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

We are going to be staying at the Hotel on the Cay in November! We bought timesharing on our honeymoon and have been back every year since (28 this year). Its a great time of year!

Every year before we go I check out :

http://www.stcroixscuba.com/restaurants.htm

They do a good eval of the local places. We love Kendricks as well but also Tuto Bene and the Luncheria for Mexican (a hole in the wall). Salud Bistro is new and we tried that last year and loved it.

Congrats on your wedding and enjoy your time on the island!

Frederiksted, VI
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Definately get out and about and taste the local food. Resort life is peaceful and serence but Cruzan culture is rich and complex and your time away from the resort will allow you to see that.

Some local foods to look for:

saltfish pate, kalaloo, conch water, goat water. And drink some ginger beer and mauby. Most of the beach bars sell burgers and pub food, so you have to go looking for the conch (try West End Grill if you go west)...one of my favorites for good BBQ sauce too.

Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Hello,

I would recommend Parrot's Cove. It is located on the roof top in downtown Christiansted overlooking the Harbor. You can get anthing from $10.00 - $23.00. Wed - Sunday there is live music starting at 8pm. After 10pm the locals all hang out there (since all most of the other restaurants close at 10pm). Parrot's stays open until 2am or 3am. It is big enough to be involved in the entertainment or find a secluded place for you and your hubby. Check it out - you will have fun!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Restaurant recommendations are a tricky thing. A couple of the places posted on this list as being fantastic - well, let's say I wouldn't go to them if the food were free.

A couple we like are Duggan's for fresh fish and lobsters - right on the water and you can't beat the view (entres-$20-30 p/p). Another is the Cultured Pelican. It's Italian oriented but have continental cuisine. It's location high on a hill gives it a fantastic view too. ($20-30 also)

Bacchus has changed hands recently so check before you go there now.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

I would try Elizabeth's at the Hibiscus Hotel. Really terrific and scenery is great. Not sure about the hotel, but the food here was very good. Try crab cake and any of the wahoo specials. The calamari was also good, but had a litle thicker crust than I usually like, but still tasty in a more hearty way.

ny
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Try Savant,but call ahead and ask for the patio,there is no view but it is very cool and the food is great,save it for a special night.

-D

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Just a couple -

We tried Harvey's this past trip for some West Indian cooking. Harvey's is where Tim Duncan of the Spurs used to work when he lived on island and was in school. It was like being in someone's home - someone who was a fantastic cook, that is - lol. Got there early for lunch - "welcome, don't worry that you're early, come on in, sit down, cool off, diet cokes"? "No problem, and here's a HUGE glass of ice for you to go with your can of diet! Great food - DH had potfish with all of the trimmings; I had bbq chicken which was made with herbs between the skin and the meat. Great flavors. Lots of tasty sides, 4-5 came with each dish - just loved the cole slaw with the raisins. From our table, we could see right into the kitchen where all of the great flavors were simmering on the stove.

Had a great breakfast at Paradise Cafe in C'Stead. Small place with a/c and good size portions - we split an omelette. We wanted to get street parking near Sonya's to start our shopping so went into town early, got our space, and then had breakfast.

Love the Cultured Pelican for pizza and Italian. I like that they have half portions of most of the pasta dishes. I ordered a half portion and DH a full portion (which should have bene called "family size"). Also like CP for Sunday brunch.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

We just returned, and although we cooked most of our meals while we were there, we did enjoy a few of the restaurants:

Cultured Pelican was great for Sunday brunch and their 2-for-1 dinner deal on Thursdays - food was wonderful, the view was great, and the service was outstanding! Our waitresses were friendly, helpful, and fast (which I am not used to in the Caribbean). They are closed for the summer, but should be open by the time you get there.

Rumrunners - Although this is pretty touristy on the boardwalk in Christiansted, I loved my sandwich I had for lunch. Fun to watch the boats in the harbor, but it was a bit warm in the restaurant (no breezes - just a couple of fans).

Sunset Grill - North of Frederickstad, right on the beach. Great view and excellent service - again, no "island time" service here. My husband really liked his fish taco special - my amaretto chicken wrap special was just OK.

Blue Moon - Mostly indoor seating (it was very hot in there, no breeze) so the ambiance wasn't what I was looking for - we went there to celebrate our anniversary...BUT, the food was amazing! We both ordered a cajun pasta dish and we both loved it so much we took half of it home to enjoy again (in fact, it was another lunch AND a snack). We went on a "non-jazz" night, so I'm not sure how the ambiance is when they have the jazz music playing. This was definitely our favorite food of the trip though.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Croix Restaurant Recommendations

Hi! Our first trip to St. Croix was in April. I wish I was there now!! Cheesburgers is not far from the Buccaneer and was great for a lazy afternoon cheeseburger, nachos and drinks. It was very casual and relatively inexpensive (if I remember right). There isn't an ocean view but was still a fun place to stop. We also liked Duggans for lobster dinner. Have a great honeymoon!

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted