We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID for 13 year old

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
ID for 13 year old

We are in the final planning stages of our trip to St Croix for this July. I realize no passport is required, just photo ID, i.e. driver's license, state ID, however, what about our 13 year old daughter? Obviously she doesn't yet have a driver's license and we have had no reason to obtain any kind of state ID for her. Does she need any proof of US citizenship to get back to the mainland from St Croix? We usually go to the gulf coast of Florida every year and she has not had to submit any type of ID yet, so not sure if this would be just like flying to Florida as far as she goes.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Florida
Florida
United States
Boston
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID for 13 year old

I don't think you technically need anything, but if you had a birth certificate, I would probably bring it along to ease your way through immigration

stcroixtourism.com/passport_requirements.htm

You will get a lot of conflicting information about this, but the correct info is on the state dept's website which is linked to the above.

wethersfield, ct
Level Contributor
93 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID for 13 year old

My daughter is 15 and her passport has expired. I am bringing her birth certificate with a raised seal and her school id with her photo.

When I've traveled to foreign countries with her, I've had to get a letter from her father stating that she has permission to travel out of the country with me. However, since we are not technically leaving the country, does anyone know if I need such a letter for this trip? Better safe than sorry, I suppose!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID for 13 year old

No you don't need a letter because you are not leaving the US. The reason people need letters is because once minors leave the US, they have jurisdictional issues if the person is not supposed to go. The USVI are part of the US and you are not leaving. If you have documents take them as they will make your life easier, but you don't need them.

Mentioned in this post
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ID for 13 year old

I would take any documentation you can, including any custody letters, to make your trip smoother. And if you expect, Memphisbelle, to travel out of the country with your daughter any time in the next few years, I would encourage you to consider getting your daughter a passport. You don't technically need it, but it will ease your travel.

We had a difficult experience leaving STX with our children three years ago when we didn't have passports. We knew we didn't need them, but the American Airlines ticket agent gave us a hard time about it and made the children very nervous when she said "They won't let them through without passports."

The customs person inside the terminal indeed let us through but asked a LOT of questions and recorded them on our record. He was just doing a good job of making sure they were our kids. And on that particular flight, we all had to present i.d. in Miami when we deplaned because they suspected someone had taken a child out of STX illegally.

So a passport would make life easier.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID for 13 year old

Made a call to American Airlines, they said the airlines do not decide who or who doesn't need a passport, that is the state department's problem. I was advised by them not to worry about this. American said to think of this trip just like our yearly Florida trips, only a bit further.

I will however, request a certified copy of her birth certificate just to be on the safe side.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Christiansted, St...
Level Contributor
130 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID for 13 year old

The situation here is a little confusing, because while we're inside the US immigration district (and therefore, passports aren't required), we're outside the US customs zone. As a result, when we leave the island, we go through (immigration and) customs control. When traveling to the "upper 48," I do so on the strength of my VI drivers license, but the immigration officers have told me they'd prefer to see a passport (I guess that's because they don't then have to manually enter the data).

My brother came down for Easter last year w/ a 13-year old grand-daughter, who got on the plane down w/ no ID whatsoever. They had the girl's mother FedEx her birth certificate for the return trip, and all worked out just fine.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID for 13 year old

Capt Nemo:

Thanks so much for the info. After your post, I will definately bring a copy of her birth certificate. If they won't let me leave without a passport, I guess I will just have to stay in the Virgin Islands (-:

Kidding aside, I should be ok with my driver's license.

8. Re: ID for 13 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted