We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

So with a family of five, I'm finding out that we'll probably be able to do three or four "big" excursions in St. Croix next week--most likely Equus horseback riding, Big Beard's to Buck Island, Gecko's ATV/Jet-Ski package, and Sea-Thru Kayaks.

Adding that up times five?!? A BUNDLE!

What are some cheaper filler things to do/see with kids ages 7, 9, 11? I'm thinking Cruzan tour, beer-drinking pigs, smoothies...drive through the rainforest? Pt. Udall.

Anything else? Oh and where are hermit crab races July 8-14th?

Thanks...we head off this MONDAY! Cannot wait!!

Sarah

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Just to be sure I did a google map search. Freedom City Surf is only 1.1 mi from The Cottages and for us it was a short very pleasant walk down the beach from The Cottages. If I can walk it a young family should be just fine. However after paddle boarding you may be very tired.

Also The Cottages have bicycles that you can use at no extra charge.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Well, no matter what, we are super excited! My youngest popped out of bed this morning and said, "The final countdown--three days!!!!"

Got my list of things that I really want to do & see so that we have them if we're bored...but I doubt that's going to happen!!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Sarah

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

I agree with the Buck Island comment, especially if your watching the budget. There's great snorkeling , and beauty everywhere on the island.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Save your money, there are better reefs to snorkel (and pass on the hot-dog lunch) all over and around St. Croix with your own gear, and the money you save will buy enough rum punch to submerge your whole party! Buck Island is a nice $100-dollar boat trip to a "dead" reef ala the hurricane damage. The Whim Plantation, Farmers Market (seafood: early morning!) and both Christiansted/Fredrickstead forts are great values. We'd pass on the ATVs as a minivan can hit the same roads and haul a lot more beer and free mangoes! That said, we second Sea-Thru Kayaks as a worthwhile bay/ocean trip. We hope your trip was everything you hoped for, and that you visit all the other islands with STX as a "gateway" island like it has been for us.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Heees Back!

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Yeppers Saffie

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Under a different screen name from CA I see.

To others unfamiliar - please ignore the troll.

Edited: 10:25 am, August 16, 2014
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

We've visited three gorgeous Caribbean Islands in three years, and are happy to share tourist-trap-free experiences on our no-worries, meet-the-locals DIY vacations. If we can share our knowledge, please PM us and we will gladly give you the skinny - sans the barbed-wire, $100 hot-dog boat rides. Nothing to peddle here - Just island smiles and rum-punch sunsets! :)

…photobucket.com/albums/bb296/firetender69/6…

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Yes, please keep your suggestions to what is the "best" for others via private messages.

Thank you.

20. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 27, 2015