We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Croix in June

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
St Croix in June

My fiancé and I are going to St. Croix in June for our honeymoon for a week. We have never been to the islands. We are staying at the palms at pelican cove. Are there any local grocery stores and liquor stores nearby? We plan to rent a car 3 days out the week of our stay. What's to do around the hotel and on the island and what are some great restaurants locals go to? We plan to island hop by ferry once a day. Any suggestion on fun activities for newlyweds?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Croix in June

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the St. Croix forum, Ebony B. Another honeymooner - Congratulations! Having been to St. Croix twice (our first visit, we stayed at the Pelican Cove condos), I would recommend you rent a car for the entire stay. While the area by the Palms is nice, I would go stir crazy if I couldn't make some fun excursions, even for a couple of hours. Plus, restaurants are located in a variety of areas, so you will want to visit all parts of the island.

I recommend you begin by using the green bar at the top of this page and check out Things to Do as well as Restaurants.

Yes, there are grocery stores both near your lodging as well as on the way. The best grocery store, IMO, is Plaza Extra, but the smaller one near Pelican Cove is pretty good (probably a tad higher prices).

There is no ferry. St. Croix is fairly removed from the other two USVIs, making it difficult to get there. You might consider the sea plane for an excursion. No worries, however, as St. Croix has plenty to offer (you'll see on the Things to do section).

Happy planning!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Croix in June

No ferries?! :( did you all ever use the sea plane to island hop? What was it like. What was the second hotel you stayed at? Thanks for the information.

Bedford, New...
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Croix in June

Hi Ebony,

We first went to STX in June of 1980 on our honeymoon and have been back 15 times since. The island center is commercial, but the rest of it is peaceful and relaxing. We stayed for a few years in the area you are staying. Nice beach and good snorkeling. Good food at the Palms next door. I agree, keep the car and explore the island. Lots to see and do. Have fun driving on the left. Right turns are strange at first , but you will get used to it. :-)

PL3
CT
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Croix in June

The flyboat is an E ticket ride!,

Take the first one to STT, then grab the ferry to St John for the day.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Croix in June

There is plenty to do on STX to keep you busy. You will find that once you get there even if you have a long list of 'things to do' that island time takes over and you may end up doing one or two things, then just going with the flow for the rest of the time.

I would not take the seaplane to STT and to go to STJ, you would end up with very little time on STJ. One of the best things we have done on island is a Tan Tan tour. They are a lot of fun. Outside of the beaches, there are also excursions to Buck Island, kayaking, lots of historical sites, the rum factory and of course the beer drinking pigs!

As far as renting a car, we usually only rent for about 3 days but we stay in town so have access to the restaurants. STX is very easy to drive around and there is a lot to see, so it might be worthwhile to get one for a longer period unless you are happy hanging around the hotel for a few days.

I think there is a Pueblo fairly close to where you are staying and you can ask the taxi driver to stop there on the way from the airport. If you do a search for restaurants you will find a ton of info - the restaurants are really great on STX.

Hope you enjoy it!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Croix in June

Is it better to stay in STJ, STX, or STT?

Gardnerville, Nevada
Level Contributor
277 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Croix in June

One of my favorite things to do is feed chicken wing bones (from my Teriyaki Chicken Wings at the Brew Pub on the boardwalk) to the tarpon hanging out in front. They look like they are four feet long although I suppose they are only three. I rent out my condo and I ask my guests to leave suggestions for activities for others and many of them mention the bioluminescent tour at Salt River. Especially in the see-through kayaks, but not if there is a full moon. Some like horseback riding on the beach or in the forest and several have mentioned SCUBA with Sweet Bottom Dive shop at Carambola.or N2the Blue in Fredricksted.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Croix in June

Horseback riding on the beach sound super fun and in the top 5 on my to do list. How far is the board walk from the Palms hotel?

Gardnerville, Nevada
Level Contributor
277 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Croix in June

I believe it is about a 5 to 10 minute drive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Croix in June

Is there any nightlife on St. Croix worth trying?

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix