We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Great A+ Snorkel !

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
A Great A+ Snorkel !

In the 20 plus visits my girlfriend and I have made to St Croix, we have snorkeled at some 15 locations around the island. When we were back in St Croix in early July for Mango Melee, we discovered a new place to snorkel off Sand Castle beach that was just one of the best we have ever experienced. Usually, when we snorkel Sand Castle Beach, we come out from the pool and turn LEFT and hike up the beach near Cottages and go out from there. This is usually a great snorkel in itself. But here are some instructions for what we did this time:

Come out from the Sand Castle pool and turn RIGHT, walking toward Frederiksted. Walk for approximately 5 minutes. You will pass a small stone structure on the beach. Continue walking a little further until you are next to an abandon wood beach shack that has graffiti painted on it. Enter the water in front of this building and swim straight out (about a 5 minute swim) until you encounter some old machinery that was dumped into the sea many years ago. It is covered with colorful sea life! Many colors including yellow, purple, red, and orange corals. There are many varieties of fish swimming around this area, and it is stunning!

After enjoying this area for awhile, we slowly swam back toward Sand Castle, and encountered a number of rays, colored fish, and even some starfish! This is the first time ever that I have seen starfish while snorkeling this beach. In all, just a great, great snorkel and I recommend it to all.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,203 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: A Great A+ Snorkel !

Thanks for the tip. I hope to get there in December.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: A Great A+ Snorkel !

Thanks for the great tip! We will be sure to check it out next trip!

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: A Great A+ Snorkel !

Thank you MangO. I enjoy just kind of "hanging out" in the Fredriksted area and look forward to exploring your discovery.

4. Re: A Great A+ Snorkel !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix