We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

Lake Worth, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

Hello - we are going to St Croix in less than two weeks, and are reconsidering our hotel choice. We are booked at the Renaissance St Croix, but I just discovered a sale that would make the Buccaneer close to the same price.

My biggest concerns are the weather and the beach. Since the Renaissance is near the rain forest, is it significantly more cloudy/rainy than the Buccaneer? Also, how are the beaches, in comparison? We have small children and would prefer nice calm water.

Anyone stayed at both these resorts? Or visited both?

Thanks!!

Melanie

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

The chance for waves will be greater at the Renaissance. We've been to both and like the Buccaneer "better" for the calm waters, especially with children (we have a 3 year old son). However, the beach at the Renaissance is very nice.

Pic of Davis Bay (Renaissance):

vinow.com/general_usvi/…davis.jpg

Edited: 8:40 am, May 30, 2013
St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

Definitely the Buc. Snorkeling is excellent there - also at the beach next door, Shoys. Shoys is my favorite place to snorkel. Go on the outside of the reef at the east end of the beach and snorkel around the pyramid house. Another great spot is Tamarind Reef which is next to the Buc. Be sure to go to Carambola though; it's beautiful.

Lake Worth, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

Thanks for all the info!! Now we just have to decide...

Melanie

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

I've been to both, Carambola several times but it's been quite a while since Buccaneer. There are pros and cons to both. Carambola is isolated but I much prefer the lush grounds and tree lined beach at Carambola. And hey, the beach has been in the movies before the resort was built. Food and service is probably a bit better a Buccaneer. I think Buccaneer charges for parking. Multiple (small) beaches at Buccaneer. Weather definitely not a factor. A car is highly recommended at Carambola, you don't really want to be stuck there for the entire stay. You can rent on site. Buccaneer is better for kids. If price is about the same and you may be coming back I'd try the Buccaneer once.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

The above poaters hit on many of the things that I would say but... My oldest son & fiance/wife had been to STX 4 or 5 times over the years but not sincew they have had kids. They always stayed at other places except The Buc. They even stayed at The Carambola once or twice. I have to say that this was b/4 they began the renovations several years ago. I have to say right upfront that I'm a huge fan of The Buc so take my comments in that vein. Ihave been to the Carambola 3 or 4 times over the last few yers and I must admit that it's getting better looking all of the time. Very attractive property with probably the "nicest" beach on the island. Anyway last year my son and family went with us and they stayed in a fanmly cottage at The Buc. He had a wonderful time and they "got" what The Buc is about. It's a perfect family spot. The free buffet breakfast is a terrific way to start tthe day with kids. It is a good way for adults too, because the offerings are extensive and pretty good. The setting for b.fast is so scenis and relaxing...The kids could run around the lawns and beaches w/o any issues and they all had a great time. Both places are good spota, just somewhat different in feel and layout. It's like saying that you prefer steak over lobster... If the cost is similar I'd say give The Buc a try...They do have many extras that you can check out on thier website that make the place one of the best values in the Caribbean... Good Luck...Just get to STX, you'll love it.

Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

Just wonder if you can get a full kitchen area and bedroom suite at the Buc vs the Carambola for the same price? The renovations at the Carambola are really beautiful. I think the Buc is a little higher end. The kids program is really a plus at the Buc. If budget is not an issue and Marriott points are not used, I would agree that the Buc may be a better choice. Only one thing about the Carambola for me, I loved the lush Caribbean atmosphere of the rain forest. Either place is definitely a great choice on this wonderful island!

17. Re: Renaissance St Croix vs Buccaneer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix