We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight

14 posts
Save Topic
Flight

Hi everyone! I found flight to STX from Detroit in January 2014 for 580 pp on us airways . Is this a good price? Should I hold off and see if I can get for cheaper or go through seaborne? I have been watching the price for different days in February and the price has gone up already! It seems kind of early to book a flight...What should I do?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flight

We need to use up our miles and hope to come in November from the US West coast. Because of lack of AA available flights, we are considering flying to Miami (unless someone has other recommendations), then taking a local flight to the islands. Can anyone tell me what local companies offer reasonable fares from FL to STT and what city from FL you might suggest?

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flight

American is usually the best but check jet blue also.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Flight

A couple of weeks ago I was surfing AA.com's site and saw three business class seats from Orlando to STX for November travel for $1800, all in. I was really thinking about just buying them but didn't.

Yesterday (15-Mar), AA.com didn't have that business class seat "deal" but did see tickets for $300 round trip each (again from Orlando to STX). $300?!?! Pulled the trigger. Purchased 5 seats (myself, wife, son and in-laws) for late November travel.

We'll be there for Jump Up. ;-)

St. Croix
Level Contributor
19 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flight

Less than $600 in January from Detroit is a pretty good price. I normally recommend that you check out Travelocity (or Expedia, etc.) for a flight + hotel combo as a great way to save money however from what I just saw your flight rate is much better than the combo program.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flight

Andrea K -- as a comparison we paid $700 for first class/business class on AA for our June trip. Like CCrosner the extra $150 each was worth it for us because I have some new health limitations and the more comfortable seats will make the trip more palatable, plus we get the meals, free (heavier 50 pounds plus!) bags and expedited lines.

As you search for fares a couple things:

- A good search engine to use is http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can search all airlines using that search engine

- Pay attention to cookies. AA in particular seems to have perfected the art of tracking which fares you search so that if you do multiple searches from the same computer the price either never changes or keeps going up the more you search. I use multiple computers and keep one computer to use only for my final booking so I can be sure that I am getting the lowest price.

- Never put in your frequent flyer # (particularly on AA) before you search fares. It's been shown that AA sometimes offers lower fares to non-FF. I always search first and when I am ready to buy, then I add my FF #.

HTH. Happy travels.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flight

trinigirl...

Thanks for all of that incredibly helpful information! Who knew that AA would want to treat its frequent flyer customers worse than others :) I will be sure to take all of those precautions when we finally get around to booking our 2014 flights. And we fly AA much of the time so it will come in handy for other trips as well.

Gotta love the helpful people on Tripadvisor!

14 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Flight

Thanks for all the great info!!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flight

You're welcome. Of all the things I learned about AA charging FF more really ticked me off! Glad to spread the joy and tricks of traveling!

19. Re: Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix