We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in St. Croix

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in St. Croix

Hello everyone,

My fiancee and I will be coming to St. Croix in just 3 months for our honeymoon (so excited!). We are very active and would like to get out and find some interesting hiking trails/beaches! We have heard that we have to check out Jack's Bay, Isaac's Bay, and Annaly Bay tide pools. We will be staying in a villa on the East End near Teague Bay but will have a rental car. I am trying to get some concrete information about where to start and how to get to each of these places. I have heard negative information about parking at Point Udall, but am open to suggestions! If you have suggestions/directions/information about these hikes, please let me know! Thank you in advance for your help!

Honeymoon countdown: 3 months, 4 days!!!

Heather

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in St. Croix

We were just on St. Croix last month and did the hike from Grapetree to Jack and Isaac's beaches. The postings below give accurate information on how to reach them from either locale. We were looking to get some hiking in so that's why we went from Grapetree. But if we wanted to spend a few hours on Isaac's Bay beach (which I thought was prettier than Jack's and reminded me of Sandy Point), I would have parked at the Udall parking area and gone in from there with our supplies.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147401-i716-k4410…

We also hiked to the Annaly Bay Tidal pools from Carambola and followed advice found here. Decided to ask at the Carambola guard house how to do the hike. They directed us to the well-marked trail (Trumbull Trail if my memory is correct). It's probably about a mile of decent up and down hiking on that trail until you see where people join it from the laundry area of Carambola. So you could wander through their property and pick the trail up there. Another mile or so you will come upon a grassy area and then a fork in the trail. Stay left here (and if you can't remember, just notice that someone has nicely put low rocks along the right turn to remind you not to go that way!). This will take you down to the road that Tan Tan Tours use to get down to the beach and it is also well marked with an arrow pointing you in the right direction.

The tide was high and the surf was rough when we went so we did not attempt to go around the rocks to the tidal pools. We would have had we had water shoes so I would suggest bringing those if you have your heart set on a tidal pool swim!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in St. Croix

St Croix has a hiking association that may be helpful - http://WWW.stcroixhiking.org.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in St. Croix

suggest going to Wills Bay and the tidal pools by starting near the laundry room at Carambola. It's an easy hike - about 45 min. The pools are over the rocks on the west end. They are especially fun when the sea is up the the water pours over the rocks like a waterfall. Another good hike is to the lighthouse (NW corner) and to Maroon Ridge. Whenever you are in an isolated area like Point Udall, it is best to leave your car windows open and the car unlocked with nothing in it.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in St. Croix

I found the hike from the Carambola to the Tide Pools to be a bit strenuous. Make sure you have hiking shoes or sneakers. We hiked after a rain and part of the trail was slippery. Oh, and take water to drink along the way. I agree that water shoes are a good idea for the rocky beach.

5. Re: Hiking in St. Croix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix