We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

azca
2 posts
Save Topic
Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

Here's another Q: Are these roads OK with rental cars or are 4wd needed?

Thanx

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

You do not need 4wd anywhere. There are usually potholes but all roads are passable.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
897 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

There's only one spot that makes me nervous. On the west end of Mahogany Drive, west of the Domino Club, the stream along the road makes a crossing above the roadway which is slightly washed out. No problem with high ground clearance in a jeep, but a little dicey in a small car. That being said, one of the gals that works for Norma at the Domino Club lives in F'sted claims she makes the crossing in her compact car. Both ways!

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

That is a tricky spot....but our trusty little Toyota was up for the challenge and you can do it too without the fourwheeler. Just be prepared to lose a hubcap.

Happy planning!

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

Drove it on 3/17/13. Impassible without a jeep (just for clearance, not for 4WD), but that being said, I freaked a couple of times at what we were actually driving on....but had comfort in the fact we could go to 4x4 if needed. Thank God for my level headed BF who drove slow and calculated. Why not get a jeep? We did 5 full days for $250- got to unzip the top which equalled a convertible. We drove up and down other "paths", drove to beach spots.....it was insane. I will be back to St Croix again as soon as I can. And I will ALWAYS rent a jeep. (mind you I am a serious budget shopper who is always looking to pinch a dime...)

Enjoy your trip. I have a few incredible photos from that journey....jeep was priceless!

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

This is our 3rd trip here and we have driven it everytime in our trusty Toyota Yaris "baby car" and other than going slowly and saying YIKES a couple of times I really see no need for a jeep unless you want to drive one.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

We too rented a Yaris and had NO problems last May. We went everywhere, but we had rented a jeep for the last day just to put the top off and go wherever. We did not need the four wheel drive at all. Won't do that again. Going back this May again and just getting our little Yaris or something similar from Judi's for St. Croix. There service/prices were the best last year. Frankly the jeep was a "rough" riding car- fun for some folks I guess.

7. Re: Mahogany Road, Scenic Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 24, 2014