We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Does anyone have any recent input on the supposed increase in crime on St. Croix? Been thinking about a visit there for a family vacation and would like to know what the general consensus is on crime and safety. We recently went to Grand Cayman and had no problems there. However, I see very conflicting posts regarding St. Croix VI. Any input is appreciated - especially from locals.

thanks

Allison

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

I'm not a local - just a frequent visitor. We were there for 10 days in December and are returning early February for 2 more weeks. This will be our fourth trip in the past 12 months. No problems at all, nor have we had any problems since we started traveling to STX in 2007. We keep our city-smarts up when out (as we do anywhere we travel), don't go looking for trouble and it has not come looking for us. It's a lovely island with great people. We love it there!

- Margy

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Thanks for the reply. We hope to go there soon!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Agree with Margy. Use your head as to where to go at night and don't wear lots of jewelry and you will be fine.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Also agree with Margy and Crabgroupie. Common sense goes a long way in personal safety. St. Croix is a beautiful island and we are returning for 2 weeks again this year ...making it our 3rd visit. Don't flash cash or flaught credit cards and leave the "jewels" at home

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

I just got back from a week and a half there, and the only crime I saw was me in a bathing suit.....

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

Even the criminal element know that tourism is what keeps their family members employed. You'll be fine just as you would in any unfamiliar place.

Ditto on what everyone else says. Don't flash bling of any kind but do tip your servers, cab drivers, etc. Just enjoy everything the island has to offer and don't be paranoid and you'll have a great time. Good question, though.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

LOL, Smile! If I had been on island at that time I know that would have been me!

I think we may be making a bit too much of this admonition against jewelry, I'd just say to not make yourself a target by calling the wrong kind of attention to yourself. This includes not getting rummed up drunk and stumbling around parking lots, dropping your cash or credit cards around, etc., or bragging about where you are staying to a bar full of people. Same as anywhere you might travel these days.

There's no utopia - act prudently and defensively, whether it be on an island or in the parking lot of your local upscale mall.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

I was there 3 years ago and the island is beautiful however the crime has increased. It is mainly rental cars being broken into and money/purses being stolen. When we were there we rented from Avis. It was a red jeep and when you hit the lock button on the key fob the door locks went down and made the locking sound however when you pulled the door handle the locks did not work. We parked at a beach and we were robbed. They took a purse that was under the seat (lesson learned) and we should have known better then to "lock" a purse in our car. When we reported it to the police they said it happens all the time and they took a report but of course nothing was done. We also reported it to Avis, showed them how the locks went down but it didn't lock. They gave us another car but refused to take responsibliity for the theft. We had just arrived to the island so we had 500.00 cash in the purse that was stolen. My advice to you is to be very careful if you rent a car. Check to make sure the doors lock and never leave anything in the car. I spoke to a few locals today when booking some tours and they confirmed the crime is worse not better then it was 3 years ago. That is why you will see locals watching your rental car when you do certain tours. Good luck.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

I was a tad more worried before arriving on island this past visit (December) because we weren't staying at a condo complex with security. We had no issues whatsoever. Christmas morning, we were walking alongside a road trying to see if there was an opening to a pond (my husband likes bird watching) on the east side. Nearly every car stopped to see if we needed assistance, so it's nice to know that locals will look out for you if they think your car broke down.

We were out a few nights in the Cane Bay area, where someone had said can be sketchy at night. We had no problems at all at Rowdy Joe's, Above the Cliff, eat@Cane Bay, or Salt River (kayak tour). I'm more vigilant when we go to Fredriksted, but we had no problems there, either.

It is common in tourist areas for cars to be targeted, not just on St. Croix. You'll see broken glass at the parking area for the Isaac's Bay hike. It happens here where I live, especially in parking garages. We never keep valuables in our trunks because of that. This is a common problem in Hawaii, too. Margy is right; there's no utopia. Anywhere you go, keep your street smarts about you.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime & Safety in St. Croix

I understand rental cars are targets. We rented a pop-top jeep and always left it open. We never took anything with us we didn't plan on carrying, or didn't care about losing. (if they want my filthy KEEN sandals, and the Plaza Extra bag with breakfast cereal and fruit juice, well they can have them.) We're not night owls so we were never out anyplace past about ten PM, but I never felt unsafe.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix