We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottages by the Sea

Tulsa, OK
1 post
Save Topic
Cottages by the Sea

My husband and I are thinking about staying there for our anniversary later this summer. It looks perfect for us...secluded, romantic, and a good beach. Does anyone have any experience staying here? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Virginia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottages by the Sea

Saw the place last week. Cute, but it's in Fredricksted. That end of the island seems to have been affected the hardest since the cruise ships stopped coming. In other words its going to be under revitalization for a while, there's not much to do there and vERY few decent restaurants. I'd suggest something mid-island or closer to Christiansted, Carringtons Inn would be perfect for you, but its not on the beach. Check for places on the North Shore, or just east of Christiansted. Cormorant, Hibiscus, or Bucaneer. Anything in Cane Bay will be remote with rocky shorelines, but not as bad an area. Have you checked off season rates on villas? There are some nice ones. Good luck and try to get out of the room and explore :)

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottages by the Sea

I have been to St.Croix 8 times and planning the 9th visit for this summer. It is by far our favorite island,having been to 6 or 7 others. We always stay at the Buccaneer. It will fit the bill for what you're looking for. I have visited most of the other resorts or condos on the island and wouldn't want to stay any other place. In the summer they have really good rates which include free nights,food & beverage credits,buffet breakfast,etc. Check out their web site. I think you will be happier staying in the Christiansted area. Rent a car and check out the rest of the island that way. One piece of advice when checking out the forum postings on different hotels. If you see bad reviews on the Carmbola,Hotel on the Cay, Chenay Bay or others, believe the ones that are less favorable. I've been to them and know what they are like. My oldest son stayed at the Carambola, which was O.K. but definetly not worth the $. The rooms at Hotel on the Cay are the worst I've ever seen. I am not an overly critical type but when you pay what these places want and then compare it to the value you get at The Buccaneer it makes no sense to stay anywhere else. The island is wonderful and you will have a great time. Do not miss Buck Island.

Newark DE
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottages by the Sea

Hi,

I was in St. Croix 2/12 - 2/16. It was awesome......its a great place. I'm not familiar with the Cottages, but the other poster was right about Fredriksted. There is a lot of waterfront construction on the main beachfront road, and it makes it hard to get around there. All the stores seemed closed. Sand Castle on the Beach near Fredriksted is on a nice beach but the resort/hotel is getting worn, and the service in the restaurant is VERY slow.

I'd VERY highly recommend Carringtons Inn. Its a B&B overlooking Christiansted. They have beautiful rooms, $120-150 a night, a great pool and awesome views of the harbor, ocean and hillsides. Roger & Claudia, the hosts are very friendly, charming, gracious and welcoming. Check their website (www.carringtonsinn.com). The photos don't do it justice. Theyre only a few minutes outside of Christiansted, and the island is small anyway. Carringtons is a great base from which to explore. They only have 5 rooms, but they are so much more relaxed and casual then some big huge overcrowded touristy hotel/resort.

C'sted has all the best restaurants, historical sights, shops, and tour guides to Buck Island, etc.

Cane Bay, and some of the north shore beaches (Tamarind, Green Cay) are great for snorkeling. Buck Island is a MUST -- awesome reefs, corals, fish for snorkeling and scuba. I'd highly recommend that. Grapetree Bay on the south northeast of Divi Bay resort is probably the best beach on the island. Long Bay & the beach at the Salt Pond reserve on the Southwest tip are great. Also, drive up to The Leap, in the rain forest on Mahogany Rd on the East end near Fredriksted. It's a neat place and Vincent the main woodworker guy is very nice and their wood work is beautiful.

Rent a car at the airport if you can, they have Hertz, Avis, Budget, prices are competitive.....and make sure you get a

really really good map. It is VERY easy to get lost. Dont forget to drive on the LEFT.

DONT USE OLYMPIC RENT-A-CAR ! THEY ARE INCOMPETENT! I had "reserved" (or so I thought) a car with them 2 weeks in advance. A Chevy Cavalier for $42/day. However they didnt take my credit card number. That should have been a warning sign. When I called them, at the airport, for a free pickup, they at first couldnt find the reservation! Then they told me they didnt have the car we requested. They only had a Ford Focus for $48. But they gave us a 10% discount, so after taxes it was still higher at $45 but the point is they did a "bait & switch" . Also, when we go to the place ALL the cars were all scratched and banged up, one had a big gash in the front bumper, and when we finally got a car, the radio tuner didnt work, the passenger door lock wouldnt work, the wipers were very bad and no washer fluid, and they gave us the car dirty becuase they didnt have time to clean it. The car we had was relatively new, but it wasn't in great condition.

They did the same thing to another couple, who reserved a jeep -- and they didnt have it. Their "fleet" (if you can call 8 cars a fleet) only had 1 jeep I think. Olympic is very unreliable and you can get the same prices at Budget, Avis, or hertz at the airport. Plus the airport is much more convenient.......just be sure to call and make sure the rental agency will be open at night.....if not you'll have to take a taxi.

good luck,

Mike

New Hampshire
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cottages by the Sea

My husband and I just stayed at the Fredricksted hotel for a week this month. The town of Fredricksted is under construction, especially the new boardwalk area, and looks to have a great deal of potential.

We toured the entire area because we are considering moving for a job, and overall liked what we saw. We did have the opportunity to check out the Cottages by the Sea and thought they were quiet, quaint and secluded enough to book our next stay in May there (we have decided to accept the job offer). We believe it will allow us more of a real feel of what the island and the islanders are like than being at a secluded resort - and the price is right too :)

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cottages by the Sea

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" really rings true at Cottages by the Sea. I returned home last evening after 29 blissful days on the west end of St. Croix...all spent languishing in the sun, on the sand at Cottages by the Sea. The weather was fabulous! Less humid than other Caribbean Islands I've visited. We experienced only one day of showers. Hot and breezy each and every day.

This is what I was looking for;

Lodging so close to the shore that I could fall asleep listening to gentle surf, air conditioned quarters if the need arose,

a kitchen where I could dash up from the beach to make a sandwich, a television to keep me entertained, as I wasn't there for the island nightlife, a comfortable bed with a decent mattress, daily maid service, a marvelous sea view and moderate prices.

I received all that and much more! The owner/manager, Paul could not have been nicer or more accommodating. I truly enjoyed his company and his warm willingness to please. He gave me a key to his office so I could use the computer after business hours and greeted us when we returned from the restaurants with, "Welcome home." A terrific guy who was always visible and available. At first glance, many of the cottages will appear sparse, dated and in need of refurbishing, but after all, they are beach cottages and to know them is to love them. I can't say enough about the towels! They were generous in size, high quality, abundant and white as can be. Cottage life is barefoot relaxation and ultra casual. You'll feel comfortable socializing or keeping to yourself. There is a coin operated washing machine, two big clothes lines, 3 gas grills, an outdoor shower and books galore that can be borrowed onsite. Many locals feel the beach is the best on the island and I can vouch for it. To literally step out of bed and on to the sand is what dreams are made of. The sunsets on the west end are breathtaking and we had a front row seat. Rental car parking was never a problem and there is a restaurant next door serving lunch and dinner.

Who could want for more? You must give this "sure fire winner" a try, I've already reserved 5 weeks next year.

dallas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cottages by the Sea

We just got back from St Croix and we stayed at the Carringtons Inn also. It is located near Christiansted and is a very amazing place. There are two rooms that have a very large balcony that over look the town of Christiansted and the Harbor. Every morning I would sit up and just look out the window to a view that was tranquill. Claudia and Roger run the Inn and are simply amazing people. This place is perfect for romance. Check out their website www.carringtonsinn.com. Tell them Chimene and Evan sent you there.

Although you are not right at the beach, you have access to the beach in serveral different directions. Most of the beautiful beaches in my opinion are located on the east side of the island, Grapetree, Isaccs Bay, Divi. These are great for snorkeling. Also make sure that you take the Buck Island tour with Big Beards. Take the all day criuse and you will enjoy a great day at sea and a BBQ on a private beach. I hope this helps you out. Have a wonderful trip!

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cottages by the Sea

I'd also like to put my 2 cents in for Carringtons Inn. Even though not on a beach, it's one of the most romantic and relaxing places I've ever stayed. There are only 5 rooms and most of the time you will have the place to yourself. Also, if you tell Claudia and Roger that it is your anniversary, I'm sure they will add some extra touches. Also, personally, I would much rather be near Christansted than Fredricksted.

PA
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cottages by the Sea

Last summer my husband and I stayed on the east end at the Reef and we had a great time. There was no one around. We literally had the place to ourselves. It was like having our own private pool and beach. In the mornings we had coffee on the patio in our lounge wear....not a soul around. Very quiet and relaxing. It was further from town, but it only took us a few minutes to get to the really great beaches like Grapetree and Divi--and we spent more time at the beach than we did in town anyway. There were also some very good restaurants on that end of the island.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
11 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cottages by the Sea

Since Cottages is outside Frederiksted, you won't have to worry about the revitalization. Furthermore, if you plan to rent a car, then you're probably better off staying at Cottages. Since there's never anywhere too far away to travel, you'll get the benefit of both worlds -- a secluded beach that's quiet and beautiful plus the ability to go to some other places around the island with your rental car.

I just got back from Cottages. It's fantastic! The only people I can imagine who would not be able to appreicate it would be those who are used to staying in deluxe, all-inclusive types of places.

Enjoy!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cottages by the Sea

My wife and I stayed in St. Croix 4 years ago and had a great experience at the Carambola Beach Resort. It is probably the most secluded resort on the island, on the southeast coast, surrounded by the nature preserve that covers most of the eastern end of the island. Most of the accomodations there are luxurious bungalow type buildings. Our bungalow was so close to the beach that if the wind was right the mist from the waves blew over our lanai. The beach is very nice and picturesque. The restaurant was excellent and every week there is a big night party and buffet on the beach with entertainment provided by Mojo Jumbys (sp?) a caribbean mixture of circus and santareia/voodoo. There is also a Bobby Jones golf course in the tropical forest hills overlooking the resort.

My wife and I would have been back already, but we are trying out as many Caribbean locations as we can before settling on one.

Actually my favorite place so far is Aruba, but that's another story altogether.