We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
161 reviews
St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Thanks to the combined wisdom and experience of many on the St. Croix forum, here's a description of some snorkeling spots on the island which should be useful to others. I will be linking this to TopQuestions about St. Croix in the upper right hand section of the Forum page so feel free to add to this posting so that we get a complete list of snorkeling spots.

BUCK ISLAND - Did reef on NE side as well as reefs on West Side. Obviously the reef is mostly dead, but it was still a great time and I plan on it again... Love just hanging out here for the day. Bunch of BIG cuda's but they don't spook me.

RAINBOW BEACH- mostly schools of one species of fish, good amount of sea turtles which was nice.. Beach is great.

CANE BAY- long swim to get to "Wall" with nothing much along the way. Wall seemed a bit too deep for snorkeling

GROTTO BEACH (Buccaneer)- Actually a nice little "reef" due to the angle of it forming a ledge for fish and lobster to hide under. I actually enjoyed this and the swim around to Mermaid beach...

JACKS/ ISAAC'S- a lot of grass... and a little spooky with absolutely no one else around. Very peaceful area.

CAY (In Christiansted Harbor) - swam around it just because I was there... Nothing much... Some nice size Cuda

TEAGUE BAY REEF- I paddled out to this reef in kayak by myself. It was a bit rough, so I held onto kayak. I was in the water for about 3 minutes and saw some 5-6 ft reef sharks cruise by and got a little spooked (they looked like Bulls but I think they were Carib Reef Sharks). Anyways I'd like to come back here when WITH someone...

TAMARIND REEF - the folks at the beach shack there will let you know if wind conditions are good or not....when choppy this is not as fun and visibility is down....with no chop this is a great trip, lots of soft corals which bring in turtles, stay in 10-20 foot depth all the way to the west end point,

DIVI BEACH - We also like a spot just west of Divi. Park near the Pizza shack at Divi and walk west on the beach until you get to the two palm trees that hang low over the beach. Enter here in very shallow water...get on your belly quick to avoid urchins....swim out to offshore reef about 50 yards...the reef parallels the shore all the way down in front of the Divi but be careful becasue at that point you are far offshore...as always this trip is better when the wave action and visibility is reduced due to low wind.

Edited: 6:05 am, November 18, 2012
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Nice job Carol. It should be very helpful!

Christiansted, St...
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

My favorite place to snorkel is the east end of Shoys. Outside the reef and around by the pyramid house is spectacular. Beautiful fan coral, turtles, spotted eagle rays, tons of fish. I think it's the best place on the island because it has everything. Sometimes I go to Chenay Bay also where the snorkeling is pretty good around the point. Another great snorkel is around Green Cay.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
216 reviews
3. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

I'm excited to check out the above mentioned Shoys spot, and also Tamarind Reef when I return in February..

Also, I can edit / give more details on my above reviews....

Edited: 5:55 pm, November 18, 2012
Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Thanks Carol. Can't wait to hit some of those spots.

Just to the left (south) of Cottages by the sea is a fairly good area to snorkel.... as long as the ocean is calm.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
161 reviews
5. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Everyone should feel free to add their own reviews/ideas of snorkeling spots as crabgroupie has done. So, PuRa, please go ahead and add some thoughts.

I'm just hoping that people will add ideas here and there will be a one-stop-shopping spot for our new (and returning!) friends.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
161 reviews
6. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Nov 20, 2012, 2:35 PM

From DionneNewOrleans:

for a snorkeling adventure go west end north shore. Enter the water at Carambola/Davis Bay and swim west with the prevailing current towards Annaly Bay. There are no services, there is no rescue and frequently the only beach will be a cliff. Swimming into this area is to easy....it's deceiving......the return swim can be very difficult. I've been into this area twice. Two years ago I went alone without doing my homework. The wind and water changed rapidly. My return swim was in 4-6' seas against a westerly. I could give you a more graphic description but this forum doesn't allow those kind of words. This year, I went back into the area with a local and we did do our NOAA homework. What happened was the most incredible 3+ hour snorkel of a life time. The area is untouched. Imagine floating along and being surrounded by hundreds of small blue fish. Turtles everywhere. Huge sea fans. Elkhorn coral. And you won't see another person. Sweet Bottom Dive no longer offers guided snorkeling. Cane Bay Dive stopped going into the area altogether. The sea is pristine here.....man hasn't messed it up yet. It's offshore of what is called the Maroons. If you do this one make sure you have all the right gear......and use paddle gloves. You may have to do some hard ocean swimming.

7. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:23 pm, October 23, 2013
Level Contributor
29 posts
8. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Hi Crabgroupie,

. . . Always appreciate your posts on the STX forum. My wife and I will be at the Buccaneer from January 14-21 and wanted to to try snorkeling at your favorite spot at Shoys Beach. Can we drive there from the Buccaneer and park at the beach? Where is the best place to enter the water? Is there a reef there? How far out in the water do we need to go? Thanks very much for any suggestions you may have.

All the best,

Sam

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,233 posts
262 reviews
9. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Great review of snorkel sites, thank you.

I have a couple of comments to add.

Isaac's Beach - love the hike down. This week there were many wildflowers to enjoy along the trail. However, one should take note of the tide! We were there during high tide, which causes much of the beach to disappear. If you wish to sit, you will be among the beach plants and it seems they all have thorns or stickers! Ouch - big time! The thorn branches easily break off the main plant and are just under the sand (lots of blood from my daughter's foot). The stickers get on socks, shorts (why is it always the place where you sit?) Otherwise, this is a really beautiful beach.

Shoy's - I highly recommend! Like a bathtub! We met a man who lives on island who said that no matter what the weather, Shoy's is lovely and calm. Sadly, that's where I learned that I left my prescription snorkel mask at home (got a good one at Cane Bay dive shop the next day). But the beach itself is a perfect crescent shape, so picturesque!

Fredriksted - Start out at Cottages by the Sea and you can drift and paddle your way up to the pier. Here's a thread about Fredriksted snorkeling from another forum poster, MangoManic:

http://tinyurl.com/njsms2q

Don't overlook the pier pilings where you might find frog fish among the other things growing on the pilings. Lots of schools of fish, too. We snorkeled there two days ago and the water was as calm as a bathtub! ou can snorkel your way to the pier, then, if tired, get out and walk the beach back to Cottages looking for sea glass along the way.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,233 posts
262 reviews
10. Re: St. Croix Snorkeling Spots

Just came back from Cane Bay. The snorkeling there was really good and I didn't have to swim to the wall for it. When you look at the sea, notice where the darkest water is, that will be parts of reef. Plenty of fish of all sizes and colors just outside of the wave breaks. Good visibility today, not the best, but pretty darn good!

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix