We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting St. Croix with dog

newark
1 post
Save Topic
visiting St. Croix with dog

I'm thinking of heading down to SC next winter with my dog... planning to stay at Cottages by the Sea; they've OK'd my dog, but I've never flown with her, and would like to hear from anybody who's done this- for example, what is involved if the flight has a stop in PR or whatever? Do local car rental companies forbid dogs in their cars or charge extra for that?

Does anyone recommend a particular airline for traveling with pets?

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

I took my dog to the beach at Sandy Hook NJ yesterday-- and she had such a happy tail!! She loved chasing the waves (although she only went in the water up to her "knees"-- and she is a mini dachshund so that wasn't very deep!) She rolled around and got covered in sand, and she sniffed every clam shell, and dead crab along the shoreline!

While on vacation I'd love to bring her to the beach too since I had so much fun watching how much fun she had!!

I better find out about dog groomers on St. Croix because it probably will be a good idea to have her cleaned up before the plane trip home!

Any suggestions where to take my doxie for a bath before the return flight?

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

rottydaddy ~

By your name I would surmise you are the proud owner of a Rotweiler...Be aware that in STX they still practice (as they do in many areas of the US) some dog fighting. Most of these dogs are pit bulls or a mix breed, and are kept within the confines of their yards. However on a few occassions when I have been on the island I have seen them loose. Not knowing what entices these dogs to fight I would keep you dog on a leash in the neighborhoods (you will know which ones) if you walk your dog.

That said, you rarely see them around the resort properties but you may see them at some of the secluded beaches where they exercise the dogs (and horses).

Some of the locals will probably be able to help with any questions you might have but I just wanted you to know as I am a true animal lover and would hate to see a mishap on a vacation.

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Oops-- I "bumped" this post (made by "rottydaddy"-- presumably the proud daddy of a rotweiler). The original post was from March 19, 2006. Perhaps I breeched some "nettiquette" by not posting a new topic... I'm sorry if I did.

I bet you can guess from "Doxie-mom" that I'm the proud owner of a dachshund!! (and a mini-dachshund at that!)

Thanks for the advice about the many off-leash dogs-- I do try to be careful when out and about with my little dog to avoid big dogs not under some kind of control-- that having been said, I've traveled with my dog to PR-- great fun for both people and canines (Sadly, I did see many unleashed dogs in PR- some which looked like strays) and Canada as well as extensively through the contiguous 48 states and I've not yet encountered a problem.

I'm always eager for some "dog friendly" activities-- and love to take my doxie hiking, to the beach, for car rides, and just hanging out. We have been to dog friendly amusement parks in New Hampshire, dog friendly ferries in MA. We even went on a canine cruise for small dogs on NYC's famous circle line!

Any St. Croix dog friendly activities I should look foward to?

Monte Rio...
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Hi doxi mom, I wanted to respond to your post about bringing dogs to beaches and restaurants, as the info you've been given isn't entirely accurate.

First, all VI beaches are off limits to dogs, fires, and motorized vehicles. Many beaches have signs posted saying as much. That's because they are nesting areas for several species of endangered sea turtles, and dogs can dig up the eggs, and/or attack a turtle as she lays her eggs. A few years ago, dogs running loose on a beach mutilated a mother turtle, blinding her, and everyone was horrified. OK, that said, we all bring our dogs to the beach and have fun. Just know what the law is, and keep your dogs under control while at the beach. Your little guys probably couldn't do much harm anyway, but another reason to control them is that other dogs running around without their owners can start a fight with your dogs. I think that would put a damper on anyone's vacation.

Second, I'm a restaurant employee, and animals are forbidden in restaurants (except guide dogs) by the department of health. Many restaurant owners look the other way when people bring them in, though. Your best bet is to check with the establishment before going there with your dogs.

I hope I'm not committing a breach of ettiquette by disputing other people's posts, and I certainly don't want to come across as a an obnoxious stickler for detail. Sorry if that's the case, but i just thought you should know the real truth.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Virgin Island beaches are NOT off limits to dogs. I live on a beach and walk my dog there on a regular basis. As do my neighbors, and many friends who bring their dogs to the beach for romp.

Some of the "resorts" have signs prohibiting dogs due to turtle nesting. The nesting season is short but the signs remain all year. All beaches are public, period. Take you dogs on any beach you like. There is no law prohibiting this. And even is there was, no one would enforce it.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

One more thing, what I just wrote is the "real truth".

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Thank you all for the "truth"and the "real truth" about bringing a dog to the beach or a restaurant in St. Croix. I hope I'm not the catalyst for some on line arguments.

I do not wish to bother turtles, or harm their eggs so I will be sure to avoid any turtle nesting areas.

I do not wish my 12 pound little mini dachshund to get hurt by off leash bigger dogs (on vacation or here at home) so I will be sure to excercise caution around other dogs.

I do not wish to violate health dept. rules and regs by bringing my dog into a restaurant where it is not allowed (that being said, it is not allowed in NYC either yet I bring my dog into several places which are "dog friendly"-- mainly restaurants with outdoor seating)

I do want to visit St. Croix to enjoy the warm weather and to relax after a long and hard semister of graduate school and work.

I love being with my family-- and this includes my dog! So, if I'm limited in where I can go by these choices so be it-- these limitations work for me here in NY as well. Vacations, after all, are highlighted living. For me that includes the whole family.

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

I've returned from my trip and even posted a trip report.

I traveled by dog friendly cape air, stayed at dog friendly Mt. Victory camp and visited dog friendly beaches, beach bars and even the rum factory!

My dog was welcomed at the park in C-sted, outside the bakery in F-town and even on the University Campus.

We were not turned away from venturing inside stores and "upscale" restaurants (she remained in her travel bag) and she was free to come out and play at other places!

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Hey doxi-mom, glad you had a good time. No problem with dog it appears. I gotta say it, I told you so. I live on the West End on the beach. Wish I had known just when you were coming down. Come back soon.

NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: visiting St. Croix with dog

Thank you for "telling me so"!!

My family had fun visiting St. Croix.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix