We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Tour

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
One Day Tour

Would anyone be willing to help us plan a one day tour of St. Croix?

We are arriving by cruise ship on a Tuesday. We have arranged a car rental to meet us at the dock.

There will be 2 adults and 2 kids (10 and 6). We'd like to hit a couple nice beaches, see Point Udall, get some lunch, see the rainforest, maybe the Cruzan rum factory, and any other "can't miss" spots.

Any help working out a driving itinerary and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Tour

That is a lot to do in one day.

I would recommend that you concentrateon the west end of the isalnd and pass on Point Udallif time is limited. Do the Cruzan Rum tour, go to Domino Club and see the beer drinking pigs (will be the highlight of your kids trip) and spend the remainder at the west side beaches.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Tour

what time to you expect to pick up the car and what time is it due back? Do the kids enjoy watersports and snorkeling? Are you looking for a lunch featuring local foods? Are the kids adventurous eaters? What season will you be visiting? Are the kids interested in pirates and forts?

There is plenty to see and do but make sure and plan some "down" time otherwise you'll be exhausted by the time you get back to the ship.

visit stcroixscuba.com, stcroixthisweek.com, and gotostcroix.com for additional ideas and maps

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Tour

We will have the car from about 8 to 4:30.

Kids love seafood and will try most anything. A place for great seafood at lunchtime would be perfect.

Our little guy loves pirate stuff - big sister not so much.

Probably won't do water sports/snorkeling on St. Croix as we will be in St. Thomas the next day and plan to do that there.

Thank you so much for your input everyone!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Tour

Lucky you that you get to spend a day on STX. Bluewaterfever has probably given you the perfect advice but I'll throw another option for you.

You clearly won't be able to fit in all of your plans in one day. But since you have a car and can see more of the island, you may want to go straight to Point Udall and spend some time on the beaches on the East End of the island (Isaac's and Jack's come to mind). TravelingDragons trip report (which was reacently posted) gives fabulous descriptions of many of STX's beaches and will give you ideas.

After some beach time, you might want to have lunch at Duggan's Reef (which is a bit pricey). It's a 'porch' that sits on the edge of the sea and has a great view of Buck Island. Another lunch idea would be to find your way back to C'sted and have lunch at Rumrunners on the boardwalk. The kids would love to see the tarpon feeding (hope someone here will confirm that they come out during the daytime....). And you could tour the fort in town (not pirates, but cool nonetheless).

You would probably still have time to drive through the rainforest and stop at the Domino Club to see the beerdrinking pigs and get back to the boat on time.

I remember being in Fredericksted once during a cruise ship day and the beaches near by were very full of cruise ship passengers. I didn't find it enticing so that's why I'm thinking you'd be better off getting over to the East End.

I'll also add that you might want to check out the mini-golf at the Divi resort. We've never gone....but I know when my kids were that age (only a few years ago) they would have loved that diversion.

Have fun!

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Tour

I agree that Duggans Reef is perfect for lunch, this is assuming you'll be visiting during season (they are closed for lunch during the off-season) otherwise,they serve from noon-3pm. There is a nice beach situated at the restaurant, clean and safe. In my opinion, Pt. Udall is nothing more than a photo-op as the eastern most point in the US, pretty desolate too. The recommendation for visiting Christiansted, the fort, the weigh house, etc., can be interesting for the kids. Rumrunners Restaurant is also a good suggestion but they don't feed the tarpon until 5 or 5:30p. Not sure the kids will be interested in the tour of the rum factory but I believe they will get a kick out of the rain forest and the beer-drinking pigs (non-alcoholic beer so it's politically correct). Please remember, we drive on the left!

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day Tour

Thank you for all the input - it is very valuable.

We will be there the first week of March - in season correct?

Monte Rio...
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day Tour

Sorry, folks, but Duggan's is no longer open for lunch. Sunday Brunch, yes, but not lunch.

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day Tour

Futuredolphin - thanks for the update. Very good to know! Any recommendations for a good lunch place?

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day Tour

I'll answer for Futuredolphin (we're friends:). I'm sure she'd agree with going to Rumrunners. It's fun, good value, right on the water/boardwalk in Christiansted.

Another option would be the Mermaid REstaurant on the beach at the Buccaneer. They always have fish sandwiches but I wouldn't call it a seafood restaurant. It's just a nice spot and fun to hang on their beach.

Monte Rio...
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day Tour

I absolutely agree with ccrosner, and thank her for reading my mind so well!

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix