We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

Hi

We are two couples from Denmark who are planning to go to Florida for 2-3 weeks in 2014. As part of our holiday we would like a cruise for up to 1 week to the US Virgin Islands. Are there anyone in here who can recommend a cruise line operating out of Florida? I have tried searching the Internet and also TA, but there seems to be so many that I just get more confused. Being Danish we are interested in seeing the sites related to the Danish history in the islands.

This might not be the right forum, but I wouldn't mind recommendations for places to stay in Florida for the remainder of the time - we prefer quiet hotels with easy access to the beach and to restaurants, shopping etc.

I know this is in pretty good time, but we like to plan in advance which gives us better time to choose the right hotels etc.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

/Tomad

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

I don't think you're going to find a cruise that will be focused on the US Virgin Islands out of Florida. Most of cruises into the area from Florida would only spend one or at the most two days in USVI ports and maybe go to one port in the BVI. There are small ship lines that go out of St. Thomas or San Juan (Seabourn and SeaDream) that would spend more time in the area but not out of Florida. In addition to see the Danish history, you would want to go to St. Thomas and St. Croix and I don't think that itinerary is out there. I certainly understand the appeal of a cruise in your itinerary, but you might be better off with flying to the USVI, going to St. Thomas and St. Croix and staying land based.

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

From what I have learned by surfing through cruises out of Florida I must say - sadly - that I believe you. There are a lot of Eastern Caribbean cruises that spends 2 days in the USVI and - as you say - one day in the BVI. I was hoping, though, that I had not succeeded in finding the cruise I was looking for. But what you say makes me think that really we have to reconsider what we want - a cruise or visiting the USVI. And your suggestion of flying to the USVI for some days is not a bad idea at all. Thank you for a very useful reply.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

I agree with doing a land based trip. Spend 3 nights on St Croix and 4 on St Thomas. You will have to fly between STX & STT, but St John is a quick and easy ferry trip away from STT.

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

The land based trip seems the right choice for seeing the islands. Looks like we will have to make 2 trips - one to Florida with a cruise and a separate one to the USVI. Thank you for your replies.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

The nice thing about your plans is that mosteast bound Florida cruises do stop in St. Thomas so you can look around a little and decide what you want to see (and maybe where you want to stay!) when you come back!

6. Re: Cruises from Florida to the US Virgin Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 25, 2013