We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

After reading so many poor reviews is there anyone out there who has flown Spirit to St. Thomas with good results.......I'm not interested in frills or even friendly crew just reliable and safe. We're going over the New Year from Chicago. Thank you.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

I have used it quite often in the past -- R/T ACY--STT - layover in FLL.

It was fine - the landing arrival time in ACY was after 11pm and it became inconvenient for me.

The FLL layover was in a very small and crowded concourse with few food options.

They don't have a lot of extra planes so if there is some mechanical or storm problem it can be impossible to continue your flight that day, which worried me but was not an issue I had to deal with.

The increasing nickel and dime-ing extra charges have made it less cost effective for me as well.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

Read the fine print carefully....while the initial fare is attractive you should know that they charge for everything including booking the ticket.

Mike in Tulsa

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

Poor Customer Service, nickel and dime approach. Only use them if the price is way way low.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
600 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

Eight people in our group drove to DTW and flew Spirit last year. Savings, after all of the nickel and diming, was still around $1,000. No issues with rude people, flights were on time - every leg, only complaints were as local sailor mentioned - FLL terminal. They also changed terminals, so the whole going through security thing again was a bit much...but technically, I guess it's not any different than international flights/customs when you have a coneection.

I think it is what you make of it. If you go into it with the right attitude, you might be fine - our crew was. For a large group, if people can still pack right - you have the potential to save decent money. There are usually only two travelers in our group - personally, I'd never drive 3 hours to pay extra fees and only save a hundred bucks...so I think every situation is different and might warrant a different solution. :)

5. Re: Spirit airlines/St. Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 07, 2013