We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

Please help!

We will be traveling to the Caribbean in April. An all-inclusive resort is at the top of our list. Has anyone experience to share as to the best bang for our buck??

Thanks so much!

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
294 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

I'm sure that anyone on this board will tell you that there are so many good restaurants in the USVI, that an all-inclusive is not the way to go.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

Definitely agree!

- Margy

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

Unless you actually want to just go from your room to the beach, pool, and restaurant and not ever leave the resort All Inclusive is extremely limiting on an interesting and easily explored island like STT.

I am sure the Marriott, Wyndham and Ritz here offer AI if that is the style of vacation you are looking for.

But really why spend the time and energy to get to the VI if you don't want to leave a resort ?? there are a lot closer and cheaper alternative destinations for you that are warm and sunny.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

If you want an AI, the Virgin Islands are probably not the best destination for you. You may wish to explore Jamaica, the Bahamas, Mexico or the Dominican Republic. They have a lot of AI resorts.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

AI's are not what the islands are about. Fortunately, you can rent a jeep and the best part is being able to get around, go to other islands and be on the water.

If you are hoping to go to an AI and just have all your food at one place, drinks and watersports, then I'd start looking for another Island.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

All-inclusive options are very limited on St. Thomas. I just stayed a few days at the Wyndham where they have an all-inclusive option. I did not have that option because I was put up there by Delta and they gave us meal vouchers. But I'll tell you what things cost so you can get a feel for whether or not an all-inclusive rate would be worth it.

Breakfast options were limited. There's a breakfast buffet for $19 or you can get a few items a-la-carte for about $8 to $10 plus $4 for juice and $3 for coffee. Once you add that up, the $19 looks comparable.

Lunch options run from $11 to $16 for sandwiches or salads. You can get those same options for dinner, but some of the other restaurants at the resort have more expensive dinners - $25 and up. Beers are $5, not sure about other beverages.

We found these prices at the Wyndham to be comparable to what you'll find throughout the island. Although, there are a lot of really expensive restaurants too, we try to avoid those.

I had also stayed 1 week at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove. Although we didn't utilize the restaurants there much, their breakfast and lunches are about the same as the Wyndham. Their dinners get a lot pricier. I believe this resort also offers an all-inclusive option.

Finding more economical restaurants is possible, but you have to really look for them. I've been traveling there since 2003 and the prices have really gone up over the years. I imagine that's typical throughout the Caribbean.

As far as all-inclusives go, I vote for Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It's the most economical, service is fantastic, the food is really good and the choices are very diverse. I've been to 3 different places there and all were good.

boston
Level Contributor
560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

FYI- I don't think you stayed at the COVE which is a timeshare and has only one restaurant- you more than likely stayed at the REEF.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

We stayed at the timeshare at the Cove but had access to the Reef and Morningstar resorts.

9. Re: Best All-Inclusive in the USVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2010