We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Trip to Provo ?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
190 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Second Trip to Provo ?

Hello Everyone.

My wife, 7 yr old, and myself are thinking of going to Provo again in June and I am wondering if I should try a new resort. Last summer we stayed at the Sands are very happy with most things about it. We don't mind moving up on the price/luxury scale.

Now that I have been there, I know what I want to do... so based on this info, are there any recommendations on any other resorts:

1. Loved snorkling at Coral Gardens, but the hike from the Sands is pretty long after snorkling for a couple of hours. I would say that I would like to go here 2-3 times next time.

2. Must have a good pool for the kid (and my 7 yr old too...) :)

3. I would really like a pool with a 'swim-up bar'.

4. The Sands had lots of shade on the beach... even at 9-10 in the morning... must have umbrella type shade.

5. Resort needs to be kid friendly. My 7 yr old is not wild, but I don't want people mad because of the occasional cannonball.

Thanks in advance.. Steve.

Virginian in Provo
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Steve - if you liked snorkling at Coral Gardens, maybe think about staying there. My husband and I are in their small "Villas" - one bedroom with 2 bath, nice living room with full kitchen. Right next to the hotel. Has its own pool and work out spa. Full access to the beach, chairs, umbrella, and delicious full breakfast. Try Am Airlines package deal. No swim up bar. Access to Coral Gardens beach sure beats having to walk to drive here. Look into it! By the way - any recommendations on best restaurants for nice dinner out>?

Virginian in Provo
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Steve - if you liked snorkling at Coral Gardens, maybe think about staying there. My husband and I are in their small "Villas" - one bedroom with 2 bath, nice living room with full kitchen. Right next to the hotel. Has its own pool and work out spa. Full access to the beach, chairs, umbrella, and delicious full breakfast. Try Am Airlines package deal. No swim up bar. Access to Coral Gardens beach sure beats having to walk to drive here. Look into it! By the way - any recommendations on best restaurants for nice dinner out>?

These 1 bedroom units are brand new by the way! very, very comfortable.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

The Palms has a swim up pool bar. I really don't think that the Palms is agianst having children. I have seen plenty there. I only here of people complaining agianst them in the hot tub, in the adults only section.

I would also suggest the Alexandra, but they have construction going on next door and in the back. They also have a pool bar, a great pool for the kids, and great Ocean front suites.

Both are an easy walk to Coral Gardens

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

If the swim up pool bar is a must then the best bets in order of close to 'The Bight Reef' are The Alexandra, The Palms, The Somerset. All of these having dining options as well. The Somerset comes highly recommended for luxury accommodations, beautiful pools and the bar is actually not swim-up but right next to the pool.

There is a lot of construction going on around Coral Gardens and not many dining options since Coyaba moved on up to Grace Bay. There is a lovely condo just back from the reef named The Seagate. In front of The Windsong (under construction) you can SNUBA or rent Seascooters.

So, seems that if you stay in The Bight Reef area you will need a car to go dining, might be better to stay at the Palms or Somerset and use a car to get to snorkelling. It is a long walk to the east after a good snorkel, you are walking against the wind.

June should not be a problem with kids anywhere as most are out of school by then.

Mentioned in this post
Bight Reef
Bight Reef
1,290 Reviews
Providenciales
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
Providenciales
The Seagate
The Seagate
33 Reviews
Providenciales
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Just back from Coral Gardens Resort.

The only negative is the lack of a "evening" restaurant; that said, we spent 11 nights in early December and look forward to returning in February with a 3 generation family.

The oceanfront accommodations are quite nice, comfortable and beautiful views. There are pools that rarely get used so a kid will not disturb anyone. They have full kitchens with ice makers and blenders and all the kitchen stuff you can think of. They have a wonderful breakfast included.

The location was great. Snorkel to your hearts content, or lie on a lounge and watch your kids from a great vantage point. You can walk to many restaurants for lunch or dinner, or hit the IGA and make your own. The hotel will stock your villa if you ask.

That brings me to why we will return. . .WE TRAVEL EXTENSIVELY AND HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED SUCH A WONDERFUL STAFF. YOUR WISH IS THEIR COMMAND. ALL WRONGS ARE RIGHTED QUICKLY AND GRACIOUSLY, AND THERE WERE VERY FEW OF THEM. ANYTHING THAT NEEDED FIXING WAS DONE SO FAST IT WAS AMAZING.

The island has a lot of restaurants and they are all expensive by any standards. They also have a good pizza restaurants and some very casual ones that won't hurt your wallet as much.

Again, the staff will go out of their way to make your stay a happy one. Try it, you won't be dissapointed. Before we booked again for Feb, we looked at Somerset, The Palms, The Sands, Beaches and several others. When we listed the important things, Coral Gardens won, hands down.

Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Ocean Club West is kid friendly. They have a little convenience store to pick up snacks.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
907 Reviews
Providenciales
canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Yes, just got back from Ocean Club West - it was a beautiful place to stay - there were lots of kids there, and nobody seemed to mind them. Nice pool, no swim-up bar, but the bar is very close to the pool, umbrellas on the beach and around the pool. Highly recommended!

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
907 Reviews
Providenciales
Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

i'll third the ocean club west suggestion...we always love it there...they do have seats in the pool along the bar side so it's sorta a swim up bar...they always have lots of umbrellas...very kid friendly...it is a longer walk to coral gardens but you can get gecko shuttle passes and take the shuttle to and fro to avoid the walk...also when you stay at one ocean club you get to use the facilities at both ocean clubs which is very nice...

we have lots of photos of the resort in the gallery at our website...

provobums.com

have a look if you want...good luck with your planning...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

Thanks everyone for the info !

Steve

10. Re: Second Trip to Provo ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 19, 2009