We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sands at Grace Bay

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Sands at Grace Bay

Just returned from a week at the Sands. superb resort. very well maintained. if you like sun,sand and snorkeling..there is none better. The staff is very attentive and professional. Enjoyed the open air dining at Hemmingways restaurant.Took snorkel trip to French Cay..best snorkel trip ever..better than the Caymans.

Charlotte, NC
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Sands at Grace Bay

did you rent a car? I am going for Thanksgiving with my 3 sons (ages 18,21, and 23), diving 3 days, and am wondering if we need a car to get around. Staying at The Sand s and have all the diving set up.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sands at Grace Bay

Was there construction going on on either side of The Sands? If yes, was it very noisey? If no, do you have any idea when it will begin?

raleigh
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Sands at Grace Bay

I'm also going there in December. Curious about two things: Construction at Sands...and if it's not worth going to TC because of the roads. Are taxi's expensive...and if you get your own car...sounds like you can't get around because of the roads and lack of directions?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sands at Grace Bay

Was there good snorkeling right off the beach at the Sands? I love to snorkel and tend to do it a few times a day so would like for there to be good snorkeling at the resort. Can't afford to take trips a few times a day.

NW NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sands at Grace Bay

Nuts! I just typed 5 paragraphs and lost it in the registration process!

We just returned from the Sands, stayed Oct 31st to Nov 7th.

Snorkeling - not so hot right at the Sands, the beach there has no reef, just white sand. Down the beach about 2 miles (past Beaches) is the Coral Garden resort. There is a good reef there and the snorkeling is good. There is a bunch of turtles that live there, and a protected reef that you can go around the perimeter. There are education markings underwater that tell you about the reef and the fish.

There is also another reef farther down by Turtle Cove. There is a dirt road marked "Beach Access" to the reef (National park) in the middle of the residental houses (mansions!) on the Cove. We also read on the web about snorkeling off the NorthWest Point, but that is quite a distance with no details on how to get there (hardly any roads either, 4WD required).

The office of Tourism is on the road into the Sands. Stop there to get a map, or to ask questions. The map has little snorkel symbols at the 2 reefs. (2 reefs? Very disappointing considering all the hype).

We took an excusion that included 45 minutes of snorkeling and the Iguana Island, the reef was awesome but it was not worth the price for the 45 minutes! Maybe try another excusion exclusively for snorkeling to another island perhaps.

Construction - there was no construction going on at the Sands or close to the Sands. There is construction farther down the beach, but not close enough to be a bother. The lot next door (The Village) is building, but they have started a few blocks inland, so it'll be a while till they get close to the beach or the Sands.

Car Rental - cars can be rented from the hotel and returned via the from desk (the rental companys come and pick up the cars). If you want to come and go as you please, I'd recommend renting a car for a few days, (maybe not the whole trip). Taxis or shuttle rides are about $6 per person per way. Driving is a bit stressful consider driving on the left and the condition of the roads with potholes and 'round-abouts' (circles) and the locals that drive around each other. The max speed limit is 40. The main highway is fine, the secondary roads are pretty bad, but passable.

Restaurants - we didn't really find any resturants that were much better than Hemingways. We tried Hey Jose that was good Mexican, and Banana Boat that was not worth the trip to Turtle Cove. Stopped at "Gecko's Grill" but the prices were too much for us with 2 kids. Danny Bouys was good too! You can pick up a brochure at the Tourism office, some of the local restaurants deliver!