We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Importing car to Provo ???

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Importing car to Provo ???

Hi, we are moving to Provo soon and thinking about importing a car from the U.S. We are planning to get a cheap one...about 4 thousand. Is it worth the hasstle or should we just buy on the island. Are there tons of charges?? taxes etc. If anyone has done this i would love to hear of your experiences....thanks, Emma

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

I have not done it yet, but I keep looking into it.

The import duty on the car is based on what customs thinks the value of the car is: it can be up to 50% of what you paid. Transporting the car there I think can be done from Tropical Shipping in Miami. From time to time, you will see cars for sale on the island, may be your best best. (Although you can get a Land Rover used for around $4000 in States!)

There are 2 places that sell cars in Provo. Bayviewmotors.com You have to call them though to know what they have on the lot. There is a used car salesman on Leeward Highway, on the side of Cost-Right, maybe someone else will know his number?

I have found cars in Provo to be around the $15,000 range. There is a pretty good mechanic in Provo, unfortunely I don't know his name and number.

So basically, I didn't help much did I? 8-(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

Oh my goodness...they charge what they 'think' the car is worth. That's not good as a lot of cars we have been looking at are well below the recommended blue book price. I wonder if you can show some sort of notorised reciept stating what you paid?

The car we are looking at is 3,500 but the blue book is 6,000. We are also arriving as tourists and get our paper work after arriving so not even sure if we can even do this as tourists.

Oh, why couldn't it be easy!

Thanks, you were a lot of help as i knew nothing about it.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

There are many cars for sale here, but unless you are buying a new one or are sure of what you are buying here...I would bring in a car from The States that is in good condition as they do not last here.

So a second hand car here is already rusted up and having its share of problems.

An expensive brand new car here is rusted up within a few years due to the Salt Air.

The Import Duty is 40-50% depending on the size of the vehicle.

And Blamona is right they charge the duty on what they believe the vehicle is worth. But you must submit an invoice with the vehicle.

A tip: Make sure the vehicle does not look too pristine.

They do often go with the invoice price submitted, but if they think it is way off they will go to the blue book value.

Get a vehicle that is made in North America rather then Japan because then the parts are way, way easier to come by.

There are many places that sell cars here, the rental car companies sell them all the time and also people that are leaving the Island. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a vehicle if someone needs to sell quickly and leave.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

Thanks so much for your help. Doesn't look good for us bringing one in. We have seen a Kia in Florida but by the time all taxes etc paid won't be worth the drama. Hopefully we can get by without one at first. We will be looking for a place to rent so i guess won't be easy.

Thanks again...you will prob see me soon...i will be the one with the double jogging stroller trying to thumb a ride !! :)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

Emma:

Hertz is selling some cars, if you scroll down you'll see honda civics for around $7000-but see before you buy! Hertz had some pretty banged up cars!

www.tcimall.tc/classifieds/mystiquesale.htm

good luck!

for around $10,000 you can get a new Diahatshi charade (tiny car-but gets you around) at Bayview. Also on the classifieds at TCIWAY.TC has pick up trucks for $6000 directly from FLA. good luck.

Providenciales, TCI
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

www.tcimall.tc/classifieds/mystiquesale.htm is the Hertz current price and availibility list. One of the Toyota Rav 4's at 8,800 USD sound good- though you would be best getting a local mechanic to check out the rust underneath etc, if it has been on-island for a while. Not sure if I'd buy ex-rental, especially from this salt air island, but if the price is right!

For instance- http://www.enews.tc/taxonomy_menu/2/5 shows a 1991 pickup truck for 3000 USD- which even if it lasts only a year, is a good deal! But it would have to last at least a year!! Again- either you need to know what to look for and inspect the engine and under the vehicle, or you need to have a *good* mechanic do it with your interests in mind.

Provo-Rent-A-Car sometimes imports vehicles from auctions abroad- these can be good deals which have come off-island and so do not have the rust issues. The parts may be more difficult to come by (as the vehicles tend to be from Japan)- you have to weigh that against the difference in price.

Bear in mind that renting here for 50 USD a day- and 10 days later, you could have spent 500 USD towards one of the vehicles. 3 weeks later, and you could have bought a 1000 USD of vehicle (which is one third of that second hand pickup!). Don't rush a decision, but don't rush in to getting a rental car either.

They do do a yearly rust check application at Bayview, but effectively, on this island, in needs to be applied every 3-6 months. A good thing to do with whicever vehicle you end up with.

Good luck with everything- hope to see you post again soon.

New Haven
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

I thought you had 6 months to import duty free or they charge by the engine size?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

thanks for all your help. I think we will bring a cheap car in with us. Is enough with trying to find a place to rent. And, you are right renting would soon add up.

Leaving for the U.S. on Tuesday and then Provo a few days later. Fingers crossed all goes well! Emma

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

A Car is not included in the six months exemption rule for new residents.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Importing car to Provo ???

As Potcake mentioned due to the salt air most cars start falling apart after about a few years. They look great but there are major electrical and engine problems, you can’t see. If you buy on island be EXTEMERY careful! I bought a used Land Rover from a VERY well respected member of the Expat community. I trusted him because of community status. He claimed he was selling his vehicle because he was leaving the island. This was 5 months ago…. and he’s still living on island. He also claimed his Land Rover was in excellent condition! I paid him $10,000, I even took the car to the local Land Rover Dealer who "claimed” the car was a great deal. The day I bought the car it broke down when I was driving it home. I took the car back to The Land Rover Dealer who had my Rover for over a month.....and charged me $3,000 for repairs. Finally after five weeks I got my car back and within less than a week.....the car died again! I had to cut my losses and ended up selling the broken down vehicle to another island mechanic.....for parts.....at $2,500.....TRUST NO ONE when it comes to used cars on the island! If at all possible buy in the US!