We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Okay, I've found the time to punch out a trip report...I'll try to keep it short (but we were there a month), so here goes.

We flew in on American on July 2nd...immigration and customs was a breeze as always. We checked all luggage and had 1 suitcase dedicated to dry food items. Remember that 50lbs/bag is the limit (my dive bag alone clicked in at 51lbs - cool).

We had a 1bed/bath condo at the Royal West Indies. This was my 3rd stay here and I believe this is the best resort for your $ on Grace Bay. The staff at RWI is great. One of the grounds keepers showed me which coconuts were the best, how to get them, how to husk them, and how to crack them open. This is what we would use to serve our pina coladas in...the kids loved that.

Our 11 year old son learned to sail the Hobie Cat. By the end of our trip he was good to go on his own. Our kids learned how to catch lizards (imagine that). They would fashion a noose on a stick which lasso the lizards with. Then walk them around like a poodle, then cut the noose and let them go.

My wife would do her massages down at Club Med. She could get an hour & 1/2 massage on the beach for $110 + tip. Ask for Julie.

The 1st week in Provo, I went scuba diving with an operator who "specializes in small groups". Well, the small group was 26 divers + 5 dive masters. After talking to another guest at RWI, he highly recommended me to use Ocean Vibes. http://oceanvibes.com . They are the only locally owned/operated dive operation on Provo. They pull right up on the beach in front of RWI to pick you up vs. taking a shuttle bus to the marina. The owner Wayne Hall said he'd never take more than 12 divers, even though his boat will handle 22. The most divers I dove with was 5 others and one time I was the only diver. The divemasters JR and Rodriquez were awesome (very professional & just fun to be around). Ocean Vibes is the dive operator for the exclusive Amanyara Resort on Malcolm's Beach. So there's a good chance you might be diving with a celebrity! In my case, Victoria Secrets was shooting their January catalog at the Amanyara. Needless to say, my wife was jeolous when I returned from that dive.

Weather was absolutely perfect the 1st three weeks of July with an occational shower every few days. The last week in July was hotter than the 1st three but ended with cool breezes and showers. That last week, Ocean Vibes moved there boat to the South Dock and we dove West Caicos that week.

I'll keep the restuarant review short cuz everyone's opinions differ. We ate pratically everywhere and if you ask me, the food is about the same at all the moderately priced

restuarants. It's just a matter of ambiance. In my opinion, Coco Bistro had the most romantic and dreamlike atmosphere of anywhere on the island....nuff said.

This trip was great and a month in paradise is never too much, even for the kids. Our daughter cried as we were checking out (me too). But 30 days, 24/7 with kids is a little too much for mom & dad. I'm already planning a mom & dad tropical getaway for March...different island though.

We will be back to Provo summer 2007, but not for a month more like 2 weeks.

We made many new friends - both Belongers and visitors. I exchanged more email address and phone numbers in July than I would do in year.

I'll try to put a few more pics on webshots. Most of the photos we took were of family and friends. I'll leave the scenery shots to the pros!

community.webshots.com/myphotos…

Seaworthy

aka SeaPlus

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Seaworthy, So glad you were happy with the diving. Someday. Sounds like the entire family had a great time. Can never have enough photos thanks for posting. No matter how long you stay it is never long enough.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the report. A month sounds soooo nice. I can picture your kids walking a lizard. LOL. Must have been quite a sight. =)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

seaworthy, thanks for writing your report. I loved photo #13. What a great holiday picture!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Very cool!

The lizard walks are too funny.

Was this your first trip to Provo, are do you go every year?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

Very cool!

The lizard walks are too funny.

Was this your first trip to Provo, are do you go every year?

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Hi Seaworthy, great report!

I'm interested to ask you a bit more about the diving you did with Ocean Vibes - I take it you found them to be fun and professional? Did they take you to some good dive sites? I know they're not maybe the biggest organisation on Provo but would you say their boats and kit were up to a good standard?

I looked on their website for the phone number and could see a US direct (not very useful in the UK!) or a mobile ((649) 231-6636) - do you know if this is a land line phone not a mobile? The number looks like a local one but wouldn't like to ring it and rack up a huge bill if it turns out to be a mobile, calling TCI from here is expensive enough!

Are you prepared to say who the company that put you in large groups was? If you want to mail me off board instead of posting it if you would prefer :

sunsealou@hotmail.com

Thanks

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

Any phone that starts with 231- is mobile. The reason everyone there has mobile, is because there are no INCOMING phone charges for them. Maybe try Emailing them?

I know Club Med, and Beaches take out larger groups. (20?)

I've seen Dive Provo take out about 10-15, and Caicos Adventures take out about as many.

There are a couple of others I think take out smaller groups. One is Flamingo Divers.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

sunsealou,

blamona is correct...the 231-6636 is Wayne's mobile phone.

From what I can tell, Ocean Vibes' boat apprears relatively new, comfortable, and was in great condition with all required safety items. Plus, you weren't bumping around with 25 other divers.

The crew (JR & Rikez) are very professional, knowledgeable, and just fun to be around. One morning, I was the only diver. I stated that if they wanted to just cancel the trip, I'd dive another day. They said - no way, they were wanting to dive! They mainly dive from Northwest Point off of Provo to as far East as Pine Cay, but on occassion will dive West Caicos and French Cay to the South. They plan which dive-sites to visit the morning of your dive, based on weather and current conditions. I believe the closer sites on the North & West of Provo are just as good as those to the South. Plus you have a better chance of a dolphin encounter on the Northside of Provo.

As far as the other dive operation with 26 divers onboard. I can't tell you their name, but their initials are "Caicos Adventures" (whoops)! It's one thing if you're with a dive club, all wanting to dive together. But this trip was all small buddy teams. If you check their website - the top statement you'll read is "No Cattle Boats". Go figure?

seaworthy

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

thanks both- it's good to get some 'inside' knowledge.

websites (as proven) can be misleading!

i'll try emailing wayne before the mobile perhaps.

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report

Great report - I'm planning to dive with Ocean Vibes and that confirms it! Do they do any night dives? Does the whole group stick together, or can you go off with your buddy for photography? Thanks!