We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grace Bay water calm in April?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grace Bay water calm in April?

Is the water calm in April? We are looking to stay at Villa del Mar and don't really want to rent a car. Curious if the ocean will be calm or if there are waves? We like "bathtub calm." Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
208 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

Unless the weather is really lousy it is nice and calm - that's what is great about it being a bay. Sometimes it is so calm it appears to be like a lake.

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

Thanks. I was reading through old posts and saw a posting about it being rough in January. Great to know.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

Okay, FYI, I've seen it both ways in April

Totally flat like glass, or fun wavy

Either way it's bright turquoise. If wavy on Grace Bay, you can always got to Sapadilla Bay and Taylor Bay

Best prediction of wavy. Www.wind guru.com

Funny thing about weather, nothing you can do to stop it! Can't predict either. Even wewthermen in NY get it wrong all the time.

When winds come from the North, then Grace Bay will have waves.

No guarantees on any island.

I would rather sun than calm! ;-)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

I have some pics of Grace Bay along the stretch of beach at The Sands. It was a bathtub in April. Here is the link to my album.

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Lovethesun

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

Past performance does not guarantee future results. I've seen waves in April

Edited: 8:51 am, January 26, 2014
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

"What are the waves like?" falls right into the same category as "What is the weather like?" All you can do is share your experience at a particular place at a particular time. Of course, it is no guarantee and I think everyone understands that.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

Nice pics Nicole!

We have experienced calm and waves on all our visits. We have been in October, December and June. The "waves" were really not much, really fun actually. Nothing like we get here in CA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

"The "waves" were really not much... nothing like we get here in California"

I was once sitting idly on the beach in northern California (the Lost Coast) letting the waves just tickle my toes when, next thing I knew, I was tumbling underwater 30 feet out. Gotta stay alert for those sneaker waves.

In many dozens of days on or near Grace Bay, the water was, at its roughest, about like a decent sized lake. I think I remember enough action for any kind of body surfing maybe once. Maybe it's just memory playing tricks on me, but I can't remember a day when I thought of the waves as unpleasant. Maybe interfered with my snarling a time or two, but I just don't see this as something to worry much about.

Edited: 3:02 pm, January 26, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

interfered with my "snorkeling". Wish they gave you another few seconds to edit these things!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grace Bay water calm in April?

OP, you're from NJ right? Rough Grace Bay waters are calm Jersey shore waters. I think I remember you have a baby & I think on rough, windy days you'll likely not be thrilled with Grace Bay based on my experience there with small kids/babies. The option is if you wake up to a day like that to rent a car for the day & head over to Taylor Bay where it is always dead still, warm & very shallow. It's gorgeous, but there are no facilities so you need to bring all your gear.

The other option of course is to hang by the pool & see if it calms down. The pool at VDM is great for kids as are the sun beds :)

Edited: 3:43 pm, January 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Providenciales