We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The New Marriott

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
731 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
The New Marriott

So I know that the plans for the Marriott is slated to open in in early 2016. Have there been any announcements on when that construction will begin? Also I know it has been debated as to if there are actually two hotels going in or just one. My initial understanding was that there would be one next to SS and one next to the Sands. Has anyone heard an update on this or have a link to an article talking about the development of these hotels.

We are looking at booking a trip in March and I want to make sure we won't be enjoying the noise associated with creating massive hotel buildings!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The New Marriott

JW, the problem with Caribbean is things happen differently.

They might start next month, they might start next year. It might fizzle out. It might be built before they said.

A few years back, when there was a building boom, everyone worried about it. Construction next door didn't seem to bother me. I get up early, and nights were still quiet, so no biggie to me.

If on the other hand you think it will affect you, pick a place with no scheduled building going next to it. There are plenty. But I can't promise something else might pop up too.

I still think in March you'd be safe. Just a hunch

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The New Marriott

JW - where did you plan to stay exactly? at the SS?

locally two major projects have just broken ground;

THE RESIDENCE / grace Bay

THE SHORE CLUB - Long Bay

here's the Marriott at SS;

…marriott.com/2013/05/jw-marriott-luxury-bra…

tcweeklynews.com/planning-board-gives-condit…

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
731 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The New Marriott

We are torn on where we want to stay. I had seen the article's that you shared but I didn't feel that either of them are specific as to exactly where the hotels would be and as to exactly when they would start breaking ground. I recognize of course that as Blamona mentions things on island time develop a bit differently then they do here stateside.

Shopia at The Sands has confirmed for me that there currently is no development plans for the ground next to the sands. However I know that the Marriott will be next to SS, but I have not heard back from Yngrit as to if it has started, or if there are plans on when they will begin digging.

I'm sure SS will do everything they can to be transparent and accommodating during the process, but what a drag! Not only is it a drag because of the noise and traffic, but because of the long term effect of having another 400 rooms of people on that wonderful stretch of beach!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
731 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The New Marriott

that there currently ***are no*** development plans

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The New Marriott

We returned from the Seven Stars last week.

Engineers were drilling boreholes on the Marriott site next door. I work in the construction industry and would normally allow 6-9 months from boreholes (to determine ground conditions for foundations) to start on site with construction works.

Residents in 2 of the 3 buildings at SS won't even notice the works - only west facing Alyia residents will be affected and unlikely in my view for 6-9 months.

atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The New Marriott

I'm sorry to butt in, but we are staying in Coral Cottage in January and I'm wondering how close the construction on The Residence at Grace Bay will be to us. Our villa is described as being located behind Grace Bay Club....does anyone know the proximity of the construction to Coral Cottage? Thank you!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The New Marriott

http://www.gbresidences.com/

This is not actually at the original GBC site, but much further down the beach (not many beachfront locations left to build on)

you'll be fine at Coral Cottage

atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The New Marriott

Thank you, Husby....that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The New Marriott

Husby, do you know exactly where they are being built? What resort would they be closest to? Thanks!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The New Marriott

Sorry Patty just seen this

it will be way down toward Turtle Cove, so not really near any resort,

tricky to describe but I suppose the only few who will see it will be those in Vista Azul, that's the general area its in

not the best bit of beach either, very narrow and quite steep too.

weird how the beach looks so different in the sales brochure - they must use the same magic photographer as Beaches :)