We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Supermarket

What is the nearest supermarket (walking distance) from Hummingbird Lane (Pelican Beach)?

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket

I wouldn't really call it walkable since it is 2-3 miles away, but the closest one is the Graceway Gourmet near Seven Stars Resort. I would suggest a car or at least a bike.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket

Thank you - that is helpful.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket

Are there any smaller grocery stores closer?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket

That is the closest. You need a car fordinner anyway staying there, some really dark areas I wouldn't walk. (during the day okay you can walk the beach to some resort restaurants)

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket

We love to cook that is why I want to be able to pick up our own things. Do you know of anywhere nearby where we can purchase fresh fish? We do not plan to rent a car as we are walkers, and don't mind going long distances - good for the heart.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a very small grocery store right off the road at Ocean Club resort. They don't sell much, but they do have the basics. That would be the closest market to where you are staying.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket

assuming you're not here right now, but maybe coming soon - the new Blue Haven resort will have a small convenience store, if you fell like walk :)

opening very soon!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket

Patty, while true, still need a car

Forgive me 60, I know the area well, you really need a car. This time of year sun sets at 5:30, summer sets around 7:30. So you'll be stranded.

If you use a taxi from there, one way will cost MORE than all day car.

Airport to there will already cost you more than a 24 hour car rental.

It's not the distance so much as how dark and isolated 2 of the miles are. There are also feral dogs that hang out at the entrance of the neighborhood. Definitely would walk with groceries past them. (especially at night)

During the day, again you can walk the beach, and if you like to walk that's what I recommend.

Staying at Leeward, I HIGHLY recommend a car during your stay. You'll be trapped, can't go out at night to bars, nightlife, zip, nada. If there's an emergency, then you're out of luck too.

It is close to the hub, but really by car or in daylight.

So rent a car.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket

Thanks for all your advice. It is much appreciated.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket

If I might add...if you really want to walk and dont want to rent a car, walk to the store on the beach during day light, do your shopping and then call or ask the supermarket attendant to call a taxi for you. There are a couple of good taxies on this forum that are highly recommended. You can keep their number with you at all times. Same goes for restaurants, walk there, get a ride back. We did that and it was fine, we called Leonard from Majestic taxi every time.