We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a car on Provo

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a car on Provo

Hi

I currently spend 3 months a year renting a house in Provo. I come from the UK with my family on a 3-month holiday visa. I have so far always hired a 4x4 for the whole time which is not cheap. As I am likely to be doing this trip for many years to come, I am thinking about buying a car on island. Can anyone tell me what I will need to do it (apart from the cash, of course). Do I need a residency permit, or will my UK passport be sufficient? Also, can I get the car insured?

Many thanks

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a car on Provo

Call Todd from Grace Bay Car Rentals he also sells cars. he would know the answers to your questions on what you would need to purchase 649-232-8500 or 649-946-4404

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a car on Provo

Yes you can buy a car, and yes it needs to be insured

Does your place have a covered garage? If no you need a storage unit for it. If not, the car will rot fast and easy with the salt air.

One of the easiest ways to look for cards is tcienews.com

In years past, longer vacations would buy a car, use it for the 3 months, then re-sell it when leaving. That way the recouped some monies.

Car rentals such as Grace Bay also sell their cars from time to time.

Really consider the maintenance on it too, you might find prices of own vs rental even out

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a car on Provo

Blamona is right on her last sentence. So speak to Todd at Grace Bay car rentals, he has it all calculated out on buying versus renting for persons on extended stays.

4. Re: Buying a car on Provo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 17, 2014