We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

Hi all! I am new to the forum. Our friend has a ocean front house on provo and my husband goes down around 3-4 times a year. I have never been. My question is this: They have there own boat and do all their diving by themselves (though they have used Dive Provo in the past). I was telling them that I wanted to see the Glow Worms when I go down in July. They had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to email the dive shops, but needless to say they are tight liped. It is a few days after the full moon ( is a few 2, 3, 4?), where do you go, what time? Any info would be very appreciated! Anyone going in July I will see you there!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

We were wondering the same thing. Would love for the kids to see the glow worms we will be there during the July full moon, but don't want to spend money on excursion that will rock the kids to sleep after along day at the beach. Any spots along the shore would be great we will have a rental car. Thanks!!!

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

I have learned that it is 2-4 days after the full moon. The full moon is the 11th, so I think it is the 13-15. I also heard it is 50 minutes after sunset. I have also read that you can see it by turtle rock, which is right by oceanpointe which is where my friend's house is. If anyone else has any more info, please help before we set out in the darkness in the boat. Thanks

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

We just returned and took a wine and cheese sunset cruise. The driver that picked us up and our hotel and took us to Leeward was telling us about the glow worms. He encouraged us to take that tour also. The glow worms appear 3-5 days after a full moon. Check and see if that works with your stay. The driver was actually very funny. He said that he could not watch it, it is too sad. Apparently all the males die after the mating. I told him that "that should teach you" and he thought that was very funny. Our sunset cruise on a Catamaran was excellent. Beautiful cruise and sunset. Very nice supply of wine and cheese and Caribbean music. Rum punch for the non-wine drinkers.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

The Best places to see the Glow worms are out in the mangroves where Sail Provo does their trip or on The South Shore.

Captain Bill does his out in the Middle of Sapodilla Bay, one night we were with him and the whole of the ocean around us was lit up with Glow worms, another time we went there were none. So it is not guaranteed.

You can see them from the shore over the South Side also.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

Thanks potcake. Our friend has a house and a boat at ocean point. I hate to pay to have someone take us there since we have the boat right there. What do you think about turtle rock, do you think they may be there? It is right off ocean point as driving around in the ocean at night doesn't sound terribly fun to me. Do you think if we don't see them the first night we should keep going each night? I believe the full moon is the 11th and my research has told me that it is 2-4 nights after the full moon. Thanks for the insight.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

Yes, I would say Turtle rock is ideal.

I have seen glow worms out at all times during the month, but the best time to see them is three days after the full moon.

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

Thanks for the info, we will check it out from shore. I'd much rather spend the money when the kids will be wide awake and really enjoy the excursion. Can't wait!

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

Anyone else with any information would be awesome. Thanks.

9. Re: Please Help * Glow Worm Questions!*

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 12, 2009