We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

Raleigh, North...
5 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

Our first trip to PROVO starts on 5/18/2013. We will be staying at the Alexandra Resort for 7 days.

My questions are:

Where do you keep your personal items (ie. towel, sunglasses, water bottle, etc) when you are snorkeling? I will obviously keep my room key, cc, and cash in my swim trunks.

We don't want to use chairs at CG if it is not allowed or frowned upon.

The Alexandra does not provide life vests. Is there a place where we can rent them or buy them for this trip only.? My wife is little and needs one for snorkeling. I don't want to buy one at home and pack it in my luggage.

Thanks.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

I put valuble items in a zip loc bag and bury under my towell.

take chairs to CG - no issues there and plenty of room for everyone

What type of life vest do you need? I have a spares on my boat if you wish to borrow one - they are the "body warmer" type.

many places sell the floating "noodles" that some people use for snorkelling.

let me know.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

The Alexandra did have a few floaty noodles around the pool area and out by where you sign out for the kayaks. Grab one of these and wrap around your chest area. They work very well.

I was just at the Bight Reef a few eeks ago. I was very sad at the condition of the reef. You would have to swim almost around to the deep end to see the reef healthy. People in the shallow end were letting their kids feed the fish to get an upclose look. This kills the coral, so the further you swim out... the healthier it will be...It is beautiful. The TCIReef Fund is helping to keep signage, and rules in place, but some people just don't get how long it takes for reefs to look amazingly beautiful.for our viewing pleasure.

They do sell.... at some stores, and dive shops bracelets to help with saving the reefs...for under $10

Have Wonderful Trip !!!!!

Raleigh, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

Thanks for the replies. Husby - Thanks for the offer. I will try my luck with the noodles and find a spot for our towels, etc.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

cool!

but dont eat them :)

let me know if you want something a little more heavy duty once you're here :)

enjoy!!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

MICKEYNC...my wife and I will be goiing there in about 4 weeks. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $2 noodle that I'm going to cut in half and put in our suitcase. Half for me and half for my wife. They'll be cheaper here in the states....Just an option.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

I used a waterproof bag for keys etc and wore it round my neck.

We just left our towels, sunglasses, shoes, clothes etc laying next to the bushes with other people's stuff, no one bothers anything, there's so many people around, your stuff will be fine:)

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

camke - thanks for mentioning about the reef issues in TCI. The same happened in Aruba due to people wanting to "see" fish. Years ago, you would just freely swim amongst the fish but now due to years of people feeding bread to get the fish to make an group appearance - it has slowly killed the under life along with fish because they can't digest human food. ....... Micky - the Alex had life jackets when I was there in October. Bring little with you when snorkeling off sight - everyone leaves their stuff behind.

Edited: 7:36 am, May 10, 2013
Raleigh, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

Thanks for all the replies.

Raleigh, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

I just purchased and received 2 snorkel vests via Amazon. They are very lightweight and easy to pack. The company is 101snorkel dot com. 2 pack for $64.00. We are set.

Now I need to get a cracked tooth fixed before our flight on Saturday. Better here than in Provo.

Thanks again for the comments.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling @Coral Gardens Reef - Questions

My know-it-all 2 cents: I would urge people to try snorkeling without flotation devices. Unless you have a body type that sinks like a stone, or there's a potentially dangerous current, you will be much more comfortable without it. (We snorkeled off Isla Mujeres in Mexico, where they required life vests, and were miserable.) The beauty of snorkeling in salt water is that you float effortlessly on the surface.

BTW; we'll be checking out the Bight Reef tomorrow.