We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental on Provo

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental on Provo

We are going to be on Provo for a week in March. We would like to rent a car so that we can explore the island while we are there. Does anyone know of and/or recommend the best place to rent a vehicle while we are there?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental on Provo

You should contact them now if you want a car for March.

I like www.gracebaycarrentals.com they will meet you with the car at the airport, give you a map, and if you have any questions they are happy to help. Very nice customer service

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental on Provo

Camke - Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into Grace Bay Car Rentals. Do you know if ScooterBobs is a good place to rent from?

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental on Provo

I have done AVIS with great results. This next trip we decided to cut back renting it for the full 14 days to a couple days ever few days (total 6 rental days). Renting first 2 days (arrival) and Lst 2 days (departure) might be the most cost effective. You won't miss it in between!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental on Provo

I have in the past, it's been years. Not sure how they are now. It's just more convenient to have the car waiting at the airport. To be fair ...I'm not sure if Scooter Bob's does this now. I'm just happy with the customer service with GBCR.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental on Provo

Camke - Thanks for the advice. It looks like Scooter Bob's is cheaper than GBCR, but from other people's reports on the forum, it sounds like they also have the cheapest rentals for a reason - pretty run down inventory with leaking tops, broken parts, etc. Sounds like even though it might cost a little more, we'd be better off with GBCR.

4EverTrukin – I looked at AVIS but in order to get something with 4WD (which others recommended if we wish to visit remote beaches around the island), it will cost us over $700 for a small SUV for 6 days!! A little steep for my taste. If you know of a way to get a better price from AVIS though, I’d be interested.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental on Provo

Dinger,

4 wheel drive isn't really needed for exploration of the island (most of it anyway) I too was concerned with that before my first visit and the TA folks talked me out of it and I did not regret it. However, one of the reasons I cut my car rental useage in half for my next trip is the strong recommendations of not going to the remote beaches. Thats all I was going to use the car for! I'm a big guy and I don't have any problems walking into "strange" neighborhoods or remote places. So I did some research on the remote beaches and a valid number of crimes arose from those remote beaches. Not just from TA site either. News articles as well. Do some research on remote beaches (Bonefish, Pirate Cave, etc) and you'll see. Driving to them is not recommended! Thats too bad, because I've hit all the back roads in Mexico's Riveria incident free and you've seen all the bad press they get!

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental on Provo

4EverTrukin, It’s disappointing to hear that it isn’t recommended to visit the remote beaches. We’ve pretty much always done this at the islands we’ve visited and never had a problem. We’ve been to Cayman, BVI (Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada), Bahamas (Grand, Providence and Eleuthera) and St. Croix (where we had our Jeep broken into right in town during dinner – they stole our backpack). Was the crime you mentioned petty thefts or was it more severe?

One of the reviewers mentioned getting stuck in some soft sand while visiting Northwest Point Beach. Did you happen to visit that beach and did you have any problems without 4wheel drive?

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental on Provo

I second Grace Bay Car Rentals.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental on Provo

Dinger,

Several robberies at gunpoint, smashed car windows, etc. I, too, am an adventourous type and have explored most off the beaten paths without fear. I can usually intimidate the average thug but when a gun is pulled all bets are off. See this post http://goo.gl/LPW62 and http://goo.gl/qQw1T for remote beach info. Also see this about my trip to Middle Caico's, especial the part about the guy we met while having a drink: http://goo.gl/wwo7h post no.5. There is a reason these destinations are pulled from the guide books.

We did not make it out to Northwest point. Can't imagine getting stuck in sand if you stay on the road. Trekking onto the beach or over a foot path, maybe.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental on Provo

We are renting through Budget. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM!!! It took us over an hour at the airport to get the paperwork done for 2 cars (with reservations). The cars are beat-up and poorly cared for. One car locked up and had to be replaced. Really poor performance by Budget.