We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Hello!

We are planning a 5 night trip to Provo in mid-March, and VERY excited about it! It has been a while since we traveled and I just cannot wait to see the beautiful Grace Bay.

Anyways, we are getting close to choosing the hotel/resort, and debating between the Sands and Alexandra. I have done some research and found that are fairly close to each other and both seem to have good reviews from visitors. Some say the Sands are more family friendly and is closer to the restaurants at the Salt mills, but Alexandra is newer?

I am hoping to get some expert recommendations on which hotel to choose!

Currently, for the time we are hoping to travel (mid-March), Alexandra has $325/night for garden view, and the Sands have $285/night for courtyard view (both studios, not suites). Sands' garden view studio (next level room) is $360/night. From the websites, it sounds like all these room would allow child in addition to the couple, but when I called Sands, they said for more than 2 people it must be garden view (we cannot book courtyard). We are not really interested in a better view (i.e. ocean view) for extra money... We will be in room mostly for sleeping, getting ready, etc.

Info on our family and wishlist for this vacation:

1) Hubby and I (will be around 5 mo preggo as well then), with 2 yr old toddler boy (will turn 2 in Feb)

2) Will mostly spend time on the beach and the pool

3) Hoping to take one or two boat excursions (that are safe for our family, maybe glass bottom, or beach excursions, etc.)

4) Want to go check out the beach side snorkel at Coral Gardens

5) Want to be able to dine at resort restaurant for meals, and have reasonable options in easy walking distance.

6) Hoping not to have to take cabs too much, other than to and from airport

7) Wants relaxing environment

8) Not planning to use babysitting/nanny type services

What do you think is the better option for our family, for the price available? Also, feel free to recommend restaurants for us too! I noted that both Mango Reefs and Hemingway's seem to be good options.

List would look a little different if I wasn't pregnant, but oh well...

thank you so much for your help in advance!!!

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
Providenciales
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

I spoke to the sands again as well and we can stay stay in garden view studio with our toddler. It has king bed plus queen sofa bed, so whether he decides to sleep in sofa bed or crash in our bed, either would work out ok I think. The sands don't have the original dates we want available for this particular kind of room, so if we choose sands we have to modify our travel dates. That is fine with us... But tomorrow I am going to call both and find out about specials! And depending on what kind of deals I can get, I will decide!

I will keep everyone posted, sounds like we cannot go wrong either way! Just hoping to get a good deal :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

they might have some discounts/deals going on but I got that info from their website. March 2013 price is $429/night....

oceanclubresorts.com/cms/…nightly-rates.html

maryland
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Wow, I guess that's why we go April, July and October. All off season.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Yeah there's quite a difference in $$$! I hope we have choice to go later this year for this trip... But March will be our only choice this year. :(

Bedford...
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

They often don't post the deals on the website, you have to call. Even their availability online is often not correct.

Hopkinton...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Book the air and hotel together on Travelocity and you'll get better rates at ocean club west. I have never paid more than 275 a night there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

Hi Everyone - Thank you so much for helping us out with planning. I wanted to let everyone know we booked our 5 night stay in March with the Sands garden view studio! We were fortunate to get an owner referral discount!

We are very excited!

I usually have an elaborate itinerary for my trips, but we are going to take it easy given toddler + pregnant situation. Maybe rent a car one day. Do half day snorkel trip one day. Coral garden one day. Was also thinking of Undersea explorer one day for our toddler (it does sound overpriced, especially given that hubs and I are divers, but I think our toddler would enjoy it)? Rest, we were planning to relax by the pool/beach, take it easy and play it by ear!

If there are some must-not miss that would be good for our family, please let me know!!

Thanks again!

28. Re: Sands vs. Alexandra - where should we stay with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 26, 2014