We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Christmas in Provo

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Osage Beach...
Level Contributor
264 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Christmas in Provo

Our first time to Provo, it was as good as everyone says. We were there from Dec. 21st to Dec. 31st. Those ten days started to merge so I'll just go by sections.

Lodging: Sweet Escape Guest Cottage - Some parts were great, others not so much. Not sure if I'd go so far as to recommend it, especially to first timers. If you're considering it and want specific details, pm me.

Car: We rented a soft top Jeep from Rent A Buggy. It was a 2012 and it was immaculate. The service was also spot on. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Eats: Our Christmas dinner at Bay Bistro was delicious. We had the conch chowder, conch wontons, grilled lobster (2) and two delicious cocktails. Service was good and the food was even better. Two thumbs up! We went to Sharkbite twice. The first time we both had two grouper sandwiches (jerk and blackened) and conch chowder. Both sandwiches were tasty and the chowder was so good! We actually went back again to watch a football game just because of that chowder. Unfortunately for us they were out and we decided on their appetizer sampler which was not good at all! The cracked conch was greasy and chewy and the fritters were doughy and missing actual conch. Service here was also hit and miss. I would still go back for the chowder though. It was that good! Took the advice of TA posters and had the jerk chicken pizza at Upstairs. Unfortunately, we weren't fans. It was too dry for our tastes. Could definitely use some type of sauce. Went to Horse Eyed Jacks and had two tasty cocktails and an order of conch fritters and cracked conch. These were by far our favorites. I highly recommend them. The fritters were high on conch and low on fillers and were fried perfectly. The cracked conch was breaded in panko and super tender. I'll be thinking about those for months to come. We ate a lot of patties from The Patty Place. I was really hoping for lobster but they're off the menu now. Our favorite was the chicken. Also tried the almond, chocolate and apple croissants at Caicos Bakery. The almond was so good I wish we had gotten two. We also went to Maskanoo and had some of the best jerk chicken from a road side stand. Had fish and pulled pork tacos at Somewhere for our last lunch before going to the airport and holy smokes, were these good! I think I may have even liked the pulled pork better than the fish but both were big hits for us. Other than that, we ate a lot of our meals at the cottage. I brought a small cooler as a personal item filled with all kinds of meat and our grocery bill for the 10 days ran only about $150. Some things are crazy high but just like at home, we shopped the deals and came away happy.

Snorkeling: We took a half day pure snorkeling trip to West Caicos with Caicos Adventures. It was extremely windy for the trip and I don't know if this affected our snorkeling spots or not. We ended stopping at the same reef in spots only about 25 yards from each other, 45 minutes at each. We all thought this was a little weird as we got back on the boat and just drifted down a bit and stopped again. Honestly, we could have just spent the whole time in one spot and saved the moving. However, I would still highly recommend the trip as the reef is absolutely amazing. I have nothing else in TCI to really compare it to but we were blown away. The coral was vibrant colors and so very much alive. We saw too many fish to describe as well as a nurse shark and a manta ray. We also snorkeled at Coral Gardens on the calmer days and we were really impressed by how easy it was and how many different fish there were. We also spent much time just watching the resident turtle. I can't believe this is free. Such an awesome bonus.

Beaches: We visited Sopadilla Bay and Taylor Bay and thanks to this forum, found them both easily. It was a nice alternative when Grace Bay was churning. Chalk Sound was breathtaking. We also went to Cooper Jack Bay because we were close. It's a nice little beach with calm waters but there is an abundance of trash and broken glass around. We had quite a few windy days where the waves were crashing on Grace Bay but on those that weren't we liked the Bight Park area best for beach lounging as we basically had it to ourselves.

Overall, we loved TCI and will probably be back in the future after we've visited the others on our list. We would definitely stay closer to the Grace Bay area next time though. The water and sand are easily the nicest we've ever seen/felt. Much talk on here about the water temp and while it was chilly while we were there, we still spent quite a bit of time in it when the sun was out. The island is also so easy to explore that we ended up putting 350 miles on our Jeep. Thanks to everyone on here for all the input you give as we really made the most of our trip to the island because of it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: TR: Christmas in Provo

We dived West Caicos and it was amazing but a close second to French Cay. I've been looking my video and the vis in FC was stunning!

Never did make it to Caicos Bakery and I swear I could smell them baking as we were in a villa few hundred feet away. We dived everyday so by the time we got back and ate it wasn't worth going (4pm). And our last day (no diving)we had too much food in the fridge... :( Thanks for letting me know about all the flavors of croissants!!!! ;)

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: TR: Christmas in Provo

Great pictures! Although that last picture made me sad.....it's always hard to go home!

Glad you had a great trip!

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
349 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: TR: Christmas in Provo

Thanks for posting your review and pictures. Loved reading about our favourite spots and really enjoyed your photos. Gorgeous sunset shot at Taylor Bay! I remember how sad I felt heading for the plane on the way home. Ah, what a place - can't wait to get back there.

14. Re: TR: Christmas in Provo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 13, 2014